6.5-06 or 270 wsm?

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by Greywolf18, Dec 18, 2009.

1. Greywolf18

Greywolf18 Well-Known Member

So have been loooking for a new deer rifle for awhile now. I am now torn between one of 2 ways to go. Thus, I would like some opinions/advice from all you experts out there. I will be using this rifle for shots out to probably 400-500 yards MAX, with most shots being 100-200 yards in NC and VA. I want a heavier barrel and don't mind humping around the extra couple of pounds since I am not going sheep hunting or anything like that......not yet anyways :rolleyes:. My two options are:

1) I have a model 70 30-06 that needs to be rebarreled and was thinking of turning it into a 6.5-06. I'm thinking around 26" probably around a sendero weight.

2) Buy one of the new model 70 coyote lite in 270 wsm. This has a med-hvy barrel that is 24".

Is there a huge difference in trajectory? I do reload so I don't have to worry about finding 6.5-06 ammo. Let me know what you guys think! Thanks!

2. bigngreen

bigngreen Well-Known Member

My dad has the same issue you have with his Model 70 30-06. I think in the ranges your looking at it is a toss up, I love my 270 WSM with 140 Bergers you have to push the 6.5 over 3100fps to get what I'm getting out of my WSM out to 1000yrds. The one advantage I see in the 270WSM is the ability to push heavier bullets, I would suggest shooting Accubonds up close with it on deer. I would say that the 270WSM I have is the best game killing machine I have owned to date, elk, deer, antalope, all die very well.
    I am interested if the 6.5-284 Norma that Savage is chambering in the Longrange Hunter Series, my wife may have a new gun next year :D

3. loaders_loft

loaders_loft Well-Known Member

6.5-06. 270 wsm (especially a coyote) can be finicky to load for...

if you decide on 270 wsm try 7828ssc powder first.

4. mauserkid

mauserkid Member

I went the 6.5-06 route, I like how easy it is to do cases, and feeds well.

Here is a pic, I did the Cerakote on it too...

[​IMG]

5. Topshot

Topshot Well-Known Member

Rather than a 6.5-06, why not get something a bit different and do a 6.5x64?

You just get the good 7x64 Norma brass or any .270 brass, neck it down, load up and shoot.

Less working of the brass in the neck than necking down a 30-06 to fit 6.5mm bullets. Just as easy as the 6.5-06 to load for and maybe a tad more powder capacity?

6. Greywolf18

Mauser, who did yours? It's a fine looking rifle! What are your loads and how are they shooting?

Topshot, ive never heard of a 6.5x64. How does it compare to the 6.5-06?

Thanks for all the input guys keep it coming!

7. Topshot

Topshot Well-Known Member

It is very simlilar. Only a bit longer with a bit more powder room depending on the shoulder angle chosen and you don't have to size down so far as you would with the 30-06.

Oh yeh,
    There is also the 6.5x68 from RWS. Sort of like a rebated magnum.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2009
  8. RockyMtnMT

RockyMtnMT Official LRH Sponsor

6.5-06. I use 25-06 cases, run them through the fl sizer and I am done. Aside from the normal brass prep. I built my son's 6.5 on the same action as you are talking about. McGowen precision barrels did the re-barrel. Rifle shoots very well. Should be able to run 130g bullets up to 3100 on the high end. Great bc's and sectional density. It has been a much better big game cartridge than I ever expected. I run the 130g Scirroccos's.

Good luck

Steve

9. mauserkid

mauserkid Member

Thanks,

A gunsmith friend had the reamer, so I let him do the chamber for me, and it sure doesn’t hurt that he had the lathe too. Besides, he is such an excellent smith, I could have not done it better..

Any way, I assembled the rifle, and did all the Cerakote. It is Federal Brown, and Coyote Tan.. The barrel is a Douglas, and finished 23.5ish long, and was, would you believe, a left over from a job years ago, new un-chambered.. Picked up for about $150, SMOKEN DEAL....
    The original wood stock fit me so well, in fact the only reason I purchased the rifle years ago. It was a Ted williams, model 53, till the dog used the but stock as a chew toy.. It worked out good though, the dog only chewed one inch of the wood.. Replaced the chew section with a recoil pad. Not that it needed it, but it does look better with out the gnaw marks.
    Any way, I Cerakoted the wood, and I really like it ALOT..

As far as load development goes, I actually was not planning on using it this year for hunting, had been working on a 260, but was having issues with what I believe, the scope. The only thing left on the 6.5-06 was the recoil pad, so I jumped back to it for my mule deer hunt. I used a not at max load of Reloader 22, and headed for the range.. Off sticks it was giving me .5 at 100, so I went hunting. I intend to do some more development on it this winter, as time an money allow.. I will be putting it on a chrono too.
    One thing I did find out in the field, it shoots way flatter than the BDC retical settings. Will be working on that as well..

This wild cat is one of the easiest I have done to date.. I run 270 brass through a 25-06 die, trim, neck up using my 260 die, and its done. The 25-06 brass would eliminate one step, but.... My daughter has a 25-06, and it it hard to see the difference at a glance. Do not want any oops.. And we do not own a 270, and the biggest plus is the fact that 270 brass is so plentiful..

If you would like, I could build you one, or do the Cerakote for you. I do have an FFL for such a things..

10. Greywolf18

Thanks for all the replies! I think I may just go with the 6.5-06 after most of you said it is the way to go. I'm thinking 130g Accubonds. Now I just need to start saving a little more because it's going to be needing a new stock to fit the heavier barrel and then of course off to the custom shop.

For all of you that have one, did anyone bother putting a break on it or is it mild enough to not need one?

rockymtnmt-

what kind of stock did you use on yours?

11. RockyMtnMT

RockyMtnMT Official LRH Sponsor

I put it back in the old factory Winchester stock. Put it in the chop saw and cut the butt off, and put on a Simms recoil pad. Had to get it short enough for the 12 yr old boy. When he gets big enough then we will get him a custom stock and a detachable mag box. That way we can load them out to the lans.

As far as recoil, it is very manageable. For my boy, shooting 130g Scirroccos, I kept it under 3000fps. Over 3000fps the recoil got a little sharper. He is a little bigger now, so I may redo the load development and take it back up to about 3100fps. It is running 2950fps now.

Steve