25-06 & 270, 500yds And Deer

ndlawrence

Hey guys, New member here! Looks like there's a lot of great info on the site. My question is, I've recently gained access to hunt a property that I will regularly be shooting 400-500 yds Deer hunting. I Currently own a Tikka t3 hunter in 25-06REM and a Savage weather warrior 116 with the accu trigger/stock in 270WIN. Which of the two would suite me better for say 50-500yds? Are these calibers ethical for this distance? I reload so bullet options are a non problem. Thanks in advance!

With a 25-06 and a 270 you're splitting hairs worrying about which one is better at that range. Use whichever one is the most accurate and you like to shoot the most. Or, get them both accurate and switch between them!

Seriously, both will work exceptionally well.

+1 on what Dr. said. I and my hunting buddy have killed a pile of deer with both at those distances. I prefer my 25-06 with 117 Sierra bullets mainly because it is sooooo accurate. Sight in 3 inches high at 100 yards and you don't have to worry about yardage out to about 350 yards just hold center of shoulder. Elevation is no problem but pay a lot of attention to windage out there beyond 300 yards.

As a side note you might try you some 110 Nosler Accubonds in that 25-06 if they are anything like the 130s I am shooting in my 264 Win mag. They shoot A LOT flatter than their numbers say they should. I have a 27 3/4" Shilen barrel on a 700 Rem action and I am getting 3350 fps with the 130 AB and Retumbo powder. With a 3 inch high at 100 yards zero I am still 2 inches high at 300 yards and dead on right around 375 yards. Man that is flat shooting.

My vote goes to the 25-06. I have one in AI that runs the 115 Berger at around 3300. Shoots the 100 gr Swift Scirocco at 3525 out of a 27' Krieger. Shot a few deer between 4-500 yds works great. Might be able to get more speed with the 115 Berger but it shoots good so I have not played with it.

Thanks for all the replies, I think I'm just going to set the tikka up for it! Now just to find some bullets to try... Looking at 100gr. Barnes TTSX or maybe the 115gr Berger vld ( the Berger seems to be real popular)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.