270 Winchester, 6.5-06, or 25-06 Fast Twist Deer Rifle

I am a big fan of the 270 Win. for DEER !!!! . My Whitetail Deer load is the 130 Grn Nosler Ballistic tips, over 59.5 grns of H 4831SC. In my rifle, it is a super whitetail deer load, that starts right about 3050FPS, out of a 24inch BBl. I love that 270 Win. load and although I don't shoot lots of deer, 9 of the last 10 deer killed , in a 12 year period, fell dead right there with one shot, or within a 25 foot radius of the shot. No Tracking !! No Exit Hole!! My personal max range limit is 300 yards with that Rifle, Scope and Bullet combo. I'm sure younger eyes would be able to shoot to 400 yards. If the range is going to possibly be longer, according to the Outfitter or Guide I take my 270 Weatherby Mag, with the 26 inch barrel, shooting a 130 Grn at 3375 fps or a 150 Grn. ABLR at 3000 fps. If or when the conversation turns to talk of ELK, then I would opt for my 300 Weatherby Mag , with a bullet in the 180 Grn Range. I would seek the advice of this group of shooters, as you are doing , for their opinions. I do not have a "One Rifle for everything " mentality. I have no problem taking two rifles on a hunt , if need be.

Yeah, I just used the default numbers on the Berger ballistic calculator and then grabbed the midpoint and endpoint. It looks like thinner air makes a little difference. But I think my point still holds. With my numbers it was basically a dead heat, just depends on the atmospherics. Either way the 25 06 still has plenty of energy to Kill a deer as far as most people would shoot. So as long as you have a different rifle for elk and bigger game why not avoid or recoil and be able to spot your impacts more easily.
Agreed on the sufficient KE at point of impact. It's because elk and deer general seasons here in MT are the same, and there are elk and deer where I hunt. It is not for everybody but felt recoil can be mitigated with effective muzzle devices (muzzle brakes and suppressors). Effective muzzle brakes have two purposes: reduced felt recoil and reduced muzzle rise. The latter is often not realized. Spotting your target on impact is priceless. Cheers!

Can you not read ? The 6.8 is not on his list of 3 options and good luck finding any thing for 6.8 western in Canada except dies.
How about the 6mm __ __
Happy Toddlers And Tiaras GIF

No a 280AI case neck down to 270. The 280AI case is longer to the shoulder, and you can get more powder add to the case for heavier bullets.

6.5-06ackley is an awesome round. I have all you mentioned and also in Ackley livery. For what you want, id go Ackley in whatever you choose. I love the 25-06ai, but you'll want heavier bullets and the 6.5-06ai is just fun to shoot. No recoil, inherently accurate.
I recommend the 6.5-06 Ackley improved. Brass availability, bullet selection, speed, accuracy, low recoil.You can't go wrong.

All in all, I'd look for what components are the most readily available for each cartridge you mentioned and go with that. I don't think you'll notice much of a difference with any of the 3......except kinetic energy will be greater with the heavier .277 bullet, but so will recoil. For deer any one of them will do just fine.

I recommend the 6.5-06 Ackley improved. Brass availability, bullet selection, speed, accuracy, low recoil.You can't go wrong.
The OP's, LAST Post said that, he WAS finding, quite a few, 6.5 Bullets, BUT NO, "Heavy", .270's .
In Canada, you can't be,. "picky" ! The 6.5-06 Ai, would be, a FINE, next best,. "Choice" !
And would Kill Deer, as Far as, a guy could hit one, with those, GREAT 6.5,.. BC's

Last edited:
I love the opinions....however my mind is made up on case style, I am located in Canada, the chances of components being an issue preclude entertaining the 6.5 RPM. 7mm or 280 is out, don't care for it, my choice, 6.5 - 284 thought about but after some contemplation...no will be using an 06 case period. Looked at the AI or improved route but would like to stay with the "stock" case so to speak, again sourcing the specialty items in Canada is a challenge. I looked hard yesterday for components, brass and bullets, 6.5 bullets are plentiful, heavy .277 bullets were non-existent and heavy .257 bullets were non-existent. This is a factor for sure. Don't forget we are the red headed step child in Kanadastan when it come to components.
Here it,. IS ^^^ Read, carefully WHAT, the OP,.. HAS to, work with, as, It's,. Cana'duh !
AKA,.. NOT much,, "good chit", AVAILABLE, to stuff, Cart's with,.. Up There !

Last edited:
I vote for a 38-55. It's no less arbitrary than the 06's you have confined yourself to, and it's the last cartridge/rifle I purchased so what the hey. You have already researched the living shat out of all these cartridges so what's the point here? I have 270's and 25-06's and they both kill deer dead, and yet I am fascinated by the 6.5-06, as if it would complete the collection and stop there. It won't. There will always be another gun, another caliber. Get the .270 and convince yourself it's your last rifle. Next fall, buy the 25-06.
The 270 with hand loads is still an exceptional cartridge, just brought a Tikka in 270 for my son. Using Nosler AccuBond 140gr with some H4831SC powder behind those projectiles, he's yet to try it. Nice simple Leopold VX3 HD sitting on top a really genuine lightweight package.

I do not know about canada, but here in the states. The 270 is most available if you go on a hunt and forget or some baggage handler loses your ammo at the airport. The 270 is almost 100 years old (1925) and has been proven in fields around the world. Barrel life will be somewhat longer too. In saying that the three will perform similar in the field. Guess it really comes down to which one you lean to as your favorite caliber. With modern powders all will do a great job.... my favorite is the 270, nosler 150 bt, and reloader 26.