.270 weatherby bullet help

TH, I've had the best results with the Berger 150 gr VLD for my .270 Wby Mag Mark V factory rifle. Tried Accubond, but rifle didn't like them. The 140 Berger VLD shot well also. Did not try the others mentioned. Good luck

TH, please disregard my post, I misunderstood the distances you were shooting. 10 to 75 yard shots are very rare here in the west. We hunt antelope, deer and elk at greater distances with the exception of thick cover which is rare. My comments on bullets for your hunting application were not accurate. I can not suggest a load for close range with a .270 WBY. My apologies.

The reason. I said 10yds. Back years ago out of my grandfather's stand I had a big doe walk up behind me and I didn't shoot her. She dropped where she was. I stepped it off from the ladder of my stand and it was 11 paces. That was the closet shot I've ever had. The rest are mostly 50yds plus but average 75yds. plus. So the 140gr gameking spbt would be ok?

10 yds, 50 yds, 75yds...same difference. They're all waayyy to close to shoot anything with a Gameking. If a Gameking, or any cup and core bullet for that matter, encounters any bone whatsoever at 75 yds, it's going to come un-done at Weatherby velocities.

I think the hornady interbond or the nosler should do you well. I have had a lot of meat damage with berger out of 270 win I imagine yours could be little bit more due to velocity? I too am having weaver rifles rebarrel a rifle for me right now to a 280 Ackley cant wait.

So the NAB or the Hornady interbond would be my jest bet?

Yep. If you're potential for shots of 10-75 yds wasn't in the picture, you would have a much bigger selection of bullets to choose from. The 270 Weatherby wasn't designed as a woods/brush gun. It's a fast stepping magnum designed for long shots over open fields and plains. If you're dead set on a typical cup and core bullet, go for it, but I would leave the 270 Wby at home if you're hunting in the woods that particular day. Take a 30-30 instead.

In my 2 cents the .270wtby was made to hunt and kill. Yes it's not a good idea for it to be a woods gun. But I know a few guys that use there's in the woods. Most of there shots are like mine. I hunt both hardwoods and powerlines. At the same time I can be hunting hardwoods and powerlines. I'm not trying to come off rude I really aint.I know 1 guy personally and he shoots and loads the 150gr CT NBT. I agree at close range that's to much. I am gonna try the 140gr NAB and the 150gr interbond as well as the 130gmx to see which performs better in accuracy and that's what I'll hunt with. Now out of these 3 bullets if I've chosen something wrong please tell me.

Ok, I reread the thread. Here is my suggestion

Bullet brand: Nosler
Model: Partition
Weight: any 130, 140, 150. All will work in a 270 Why chambering with standard twist.

Per all your requirements, the most appropriate IMO, is a soft point Partition. Second choice is the Accubond though IMO, the problem with the Accubond will be if you hit bone at close range there could be to much expansion.

but

I still have to shoot solids so in your setup it will be Cutting Edge Razors.

In my 2 cents the .270wtby was made to hunt and kill. Yes it's not a good idea for it to be a woods gun. But I know a few guys that use there's in the woods. Most of there shots are like mine. I hunt both hardwoods and powerlines. At the same time I can be hunting hardwoods and powerlines. I'm not trying to come off rude I really aint.I know 1 guy personally and he shoots and loads the 150gr CT NBT. I agree at close range that's to much. I am gonna try the 140gr NAB and the 150gr interbond as well as the 130gmx to see which performs better in accuracy and that's what I'll hunt with. Now out of these 3 bullets if I've chosen something wrong please tell me.

If you already know guys using 270WBy why not ask them?

Shooting lightweight bullets in the 270wby is a waste of the powder. The 165 matrix mentioned will hold together at the minimums you listed and they have outstanding custom bullet accuracy for the price of some mentioned that don't. If your limit is 400at deer sized game why not just shoot a 270win especially if your liking the lighter bullets. Not trying to sound sound like an arse but they cost of powder and brass to shoot the lighter weight bullets makes zero sense to me.
2 options not mentioned would be the cutting edge bullets and the GS bullets. They can withstand the impact velocities but they are spendy

I've asked my buddies about which I should shoot. Each one tells me something diff. One shoots accubonds. I know you wasn't trying to be and arse. But I've heard mixed review on the matrix bullets and never heard.of the other you had mention. I've already got a .270 win that was my grandfather's but I retired it years ago. My grandfather's go to gun was his old German .300 weatherby which I still use time to time. My thoughts is weatherby is a solid all around perform then anything else. This is just my 2 cents and I know some of you aren't going to agree lol I'm sure I'll get another private message saying how crazy I am for like weatherby's. I really didn't think the 140gr or 150gr bullet was to light. Yes I mention the 130gr swift Siroccoo 2 and the 130gr. Gmx by hornady but the swift is bonded and the gmx is almost like a barnes. Yes I would love to shoot berger bullets but to much meat loose for me I'm stingy on my meat lol. I've looked at the matrix rbt but didn't know nothing about them. I'm gonna stick with the 140gr nosler accubond.

I've asked my buddies about which I should shoot. Each one tells me something diff. One shoots accubonds. I know you wasn't trying to be and arse. But I've heard mixed review on the matrix bullets and never heard.of the other you had mention. I've already got a .270 win that was my grandfather's but I retired it years ago. My grandfather's go to gun was his old German .300 weatherby which I still use time to time. My thoughts is weatherby is a solid all around perform then anything else. This is just my 2 cents and I know some of you aren't going to agree lol I'm sure I'll get another private message saying how crazy I am for like weatherby's. I really didn't think the 140gr or 150gr bullet was to light. Yes I mention the 130gr swift Siroccoo 2 and the 130gr. Gmx by hornady but the swift is bonded and the gmx is almost like a barnes. Yes I would love to shoot berger bullets but to much meat loose for me I'm stingy on my meat lol. I've looked at the matrix rbt but didn't know nothing about them. I'm gonna stick with the 140gr nosler accubond.

Let's understand something I was just asking a question so your added comment wasn't needed.

Mr. Tom no disrespect was ment by that I assure you but I was answering you and and the other gentleman as well. I apologize if you took it as if I was being disrespectful that wasn't my intention. But answer your question more into detail. One of my buddies shoots the accubonds and loves them. 2 shoot the NBT but there just weekend warriors. But again Tom I am sorry if I came off rude.

GS CUSTOM USA - Products
Cutting Edge Bullets Welcome
The Matrix vld's are a bonded bullet as are the rebated boattail bullets. Feenix and bigngreen and I believe mmers(I'm not sure of the spelling on the last member's name) all have data on the .277 matrix bullets.
The 2 links above are for the other's I mentioned. I've shot the 30 cal 150grn HV's. They were exceptionally consistent, with usually less than 5fps sd. Whatever you choose to use
I would at least pm the first 2 about them before you put your money down. Best of luck with your decisions.

Mr. Tom no disrespect was ment by that I assure you but I was answering you and and the other gentleman as well. I apologize if you took it as if I was being disrespectful that wasn't my intention. But answer your question more into detail. One of my buddies shoots the accubonds and loves them. 2 shoot the NBT but there just weekend warriors. But again Tom I am sorry if I came off rude.

No need for apology. If you buddy using AB for hunting be a good choice.

You will like that 270Wby and my is build on 700 action with Mike Rock fluted barrel @ 26".

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.