Wifes .257 weatherby Mag bullet Delima..

I hunted last winter with a Weatherby Vangaurd (original series) in 257Wby. Rifle was given to me by a friend. He sent along a new box of 115 grain NBTs. Would definitely not been MY first choice of hunting bullet, especially @ $82 a box ( thank god i have a Rock Chucker!!!). Anyway, shot one shot to verify zero which was 3" high @ 100yds. Next seven shots were one shot kills on doe. Shots were anywhere from 90 yards to 330 yds. ALL DRT, not even a twitch. All shot low behind shoulder perfect broadside through ribs. Very minimal meat loss. I've since read where folks have had surface blow up at closer ranges, maybe i'm just lucky? I call it the hand of god, kills WAY better than numbers would suggest. Was impressed enough that i bought one in Rem 700 CDL SF. If speed kills, then 26" barrel should only kill better. Thinking of loading some Berger 115 VLDs or 120 Partitions, but personally see no reason thus far to change it up. Any suggestions on an "all around near to far bullet"?

I think most of those stories of bullet blow up are false as they try to justify the bullet they use as better. I have been shooting the 115 nosler bt in my 28" tubed Roy since. Got it. It pushes them way over max fps for that bullet and have shot many deer at all ranges. Even the close shot the had perfect bullet operation. I am going to try he Berger for better bc but as far as the nosler goes it's a great bullet and I ref omens it to everyone for this caliber.

I don't shoot much past 300 on deer and the ttsx or accubond have never let me down. Loading 100 ttsx for my 25-06 right now.

Well just got back from Montana and it was a great one!
Took the 257 bee with the 100 grain TTSX and was impressed.First was a buck at 80 yards max and a neck shot and it dropped quicker then anything I have seen.
Now it was time for the doe tag and my first longer range shot at 650 yards in very open country.The TTSX entered behind the front shoulder ( a few inches back) and exited below the back strap.The insides were a mess but a very clean 2 1/2 " or so exit hole.Hunched up walked 10 feet and fell.

I can say with confidence that our 92g .257 designed for 10" twist will be exceptional. In the 257 Bee you would be pushing the 3700fps mark with a bullet that is perfect from as high as you can go down to 1800fps. This would easily get you as far as you want to go.

Just had a customer shoot a great 6pt bull in the Missouri Breaks with our 117g .270 at 550y. Bull dropped on the shot. Impact vel right at 1800fps.

We just tested a 43g .224 on a doe last night. Muzzle vel 4000fps from a 22-250. Shot at 300y. Doe went about 25y and fell. Shot behind shoulder, pretty much gelled the lungs. Even split the liver. Pretty much made a mess of everything on the inside.

Steve

The 115 grain NBTs are what I used when I had my 257WM. I took some antelopes with it and the first was at 257yrds bullet completely expanded and was found on the off side shoulder right under the hide. Entry was an angle shot through the ribs behind the shoulder. Just fell right over. The second was at 403 yards and the bullet had complete pass through. Exit hole was about the size of a nickel. I think they work fine when I had the rifle. Also took a mule deer at 304yrds with complete pass through right behind the shoulder. He took about 2 steps and fell over. So I know the 115NBT's will work.

I can say with confidence that our 92g .257 designed for 10" twist will be exceptional. In the 257 Bee you would be pushing the 3700fps mark with a bullet that is perfect from as high as you can go down to 1800fps. This would easily get you as far as you want to go.

Just had a customer shoot a great 6pt bull in the Missouri Breaks with our 117g .270 at 550y. Bull dropped on the shot. Impact vel right at 1800fps.

We just tested a 43g .224 on a doe last night. Muzzle vel 4000fps from a 22-250. Shot at 300y. Doe went about 25y and fell. Shot behind shoulder, pretty much gelled the lungs. Even split the liver. Pretty much made a mess of everything on the inside.

Steve

The doe went 25 yards too far. There are better choices in the world, with all the respect.

The doe went 25 yards too far. There are better choices in the world, with all the respect.

How far should a lung shot doe travel? Have you ever shot one? What do you mean by better choices? Bullet? Caliber? Cartridge? Do you think the doe would have traveled less than 25 yards lung shot with a different something?

The more I think about your statement the more I think your experience with shooting big game animals is what you have read on the internet. That would make you an expert because you read it on the internet.

There are many places in the country that are shooting 22cal bullets for deer day in and day out. For that matter our armed forces shoot men all over the world with 22 cal bullets and they are bigger than most deer.

I shot another one tonight from the same stand with the same rifle and bullet and she did not take a step. That would be because I did not range her before the shot and hit her through the spine. She was 50 yards closer than I thought. Not the bullet testing shot I was looking for, but a very dead deer just the same.

Here is a pic of the inside of last nights deer as we opened it. The head of the deer would be on the bottom of the pic. Lungs and liver are both busted up. No spine hit. So again I am not sure what you expect for the outer limits at 300y for a 22 cal bullet are?

224 vitals.jpeg
Sorry about the poor cell phone pic. I think you can get the point.

Steve

How far should a lung shot doe travel? Have you ever shot one? What do you mean by better choices? Bullet? Caliber? Cartridge? Do you think the doe would have traveled less than 25 yards lung shot with a different something?

The more I think about your statement the more I think your experience with shooting big game animals is what you have read on the internet. That would make you an expert because you read it on the internet.

There are many places in the country that are shooting 22cal bullets for deer day in and day out. For that matter our armed forces shoot men all over the world with 22 cal bullets and they are bigger than most deer.

I shot another one tonight from the same stand with the same rifle and bullet and she did not take a step. That would be because I did not range her before the shot and hit her through the spine. She was 50 yards closer than I thought. Not the bullet testing shot I was looking for, but a very dead deer just the same.

Here is a pic of the inside of last nights deer as we opened it. The head of the deer would be on the bottom of the pic. Lungs and liver are both busted up. No spine hit. So again I am not sure what you expect for the outer limits at 300y for a 22 cal bullet are?

View attachment 66537
Sorry about the poor cell phone pic. I think you can get the point.

Steve

You are in a wrong forum, buddy. And yes, there are better options.
And I would find a better way to promote your bullets.

Troll warning.

90 posts. 80 of them selling stuff. 4 of them here. 6 talking about CE bullets.

Confirms it. You have never shot a big game animal. Not sure you have ever shot a rifle. Keyboard jocky. You should take a shower and climb out of your parents basement and get a little sun.

Go a way.

Steve

I haven't had a chance to try Hammer Bullets yet.... however, what I will say is this.
The 257 Roy is a Nuclear Weapon at close range... stick with a monolithic or a good bonded projectile. You may or may not have issues with Monolithic if you do not hit bone/heavy muscle... 25 cal is pretty small. When it disrupts... LOOK OUT.

For me... I'm taking my 280 AI ( my modded one in the gun pics section) out next weekend with 175 ABLRs and a stiff dose of 7977, producing a hair over 2800.
Once the dust settles... I'll definitely give it a go. Right now, switching bullets during season is the WORST idea. You simply do not have time to vet stability.
gun)

Recent Posts