.270 weatherby bullet help

Hello to all. I am new to the form. I'm not the type to ask for help reason being I can be stubborn. I'm about to be in the process in the next month to start a custom rifle build. It's goin to based off the weatherby mark v magnum action in the .270 weatherby. I'm gonna have a 26" rock creek #4 barrel put on it. The gentleman/gun smith I've talked to about the build is at weaver rifles. Very nice man and very patient with me. But the hardest thing I'm trying to decide on is bullet selection. I'm not gonna be shooting no more the 400yds that's for sure. But I'm looking at the 140gr NAB, 140gr berger hunting vld, the 130gr swift sciroccoo 2, and /or the 130gr hornady gmx. I'm from Southern western/middle Tennessee so my shots usually range from 10yds to 150yds woods or out to 400 to 500yds power and or pipeline which 400yds is gonna be my max. In the future I plan on a antelope and mule deer hunt as well as as black bear and caribou. Any help with a bullet selection and thought would be thankful. Please let's keep this gentleman like.

I reload 130 grain Nosler Partitions in my .270 Winchesters, one a model 70 and the other a Remington model 721. Great round out to 500 yards for deer. I use the old school method of shooting these as they are about 2-2 1/2" high at 100 and I just hold dead on to about 350 yards. After that it is time to start aiming up. I think all the bullets you mentioned should work, just find the one your gun shoots best. Also I love reloading and working up loads so if you can get into it....do it. Much more of a memorable experience when you take an animal with a gun and load you built up IMO.

I reload for a couple Mark Vs in 270 Why Mag but they are factory barrels.

IIWM

If not to late, get a 9 twist.
Use the Matrix 165 vld hunting.
Have it chambered so you can be .020 off the lands but make good use of the case volume.

If it's chambered that way you can use all the other bullets just fine. For most of the game in your list and at the distances you specify, the 165 should get the job done. For the speed goat, if you need to you can make a load with any of the 130s, I like TTSX. Send them like a bat out of you know what.

Of those 3 I would go with the Accubond. If you were open to other bullets the 150 grain Hornady SP would be a good one for the money as well as a 150 Partition. For ranges of 200+ the Ballistic Tip or 150 Sierra Gameking would be good as well and not break the bank.

TH, I've had the best results with the Berger 150 gr VLD for my .270 Wby Mag Mark V factory rifle. Tried Accubond, but rifle didn't like them. The 140 Berger VLD shot well also. Did not try the others mentioned. Good luck

No offense to the berger bullets I know they are tack drivers and kill game but I a few friends of mine here shoot them and there is to much meat damage to me. I've thought about them but I keep seeing the meat damage I've seen on my friends deers they harvested. I'm also new to reloading. I'm gonna be using I'm 7828 powpowder and federal 215m primers. Of the bergers which do u think would be better at cloclose range the 140 or 150. I also thought bout buying a box of 140gr NAB, 130gr Swift sciroccoo 2 and maybe the 150gr NBT to see which shot better. I could throw in the 150 berger.

tennesseehunter,

I do not own a .270 Wby Mag. I do own a couple .270 Winchesters. For the species you've identified, you'd be more that well suited with 130 GameKings. If you decide to add elk, I'd suggest 150 grain Partitions.

One of the longest shots I've made was beyond 400 yards at a back antelope. One 130 grain GameKing dropped him in is tracks. 130 grain GameKings will drop mule deer in their tracks.

I love the gameking bullets I use the 140gr version in my 7mm remember my buddy reloaded for me 2yrs ago before he passed. But I would be causious using the 130gr in the .270wtby with the speed. I should be doing some moving with the 27" barrel plus another 1-1/2" muzzle brake. So the game king in your thought should be ok with the weatherby speed

Tennessee,

If you have possible shots starting at 10 yards, I would stay way far away from anything not bonded or solid. At 270 Weatherby velocities, anything less is going to explode at such a close range. Start with the 140 Accubond. It's a great all around bullet for the 270 Weatherby, from short to long range. If the 140 AB doesn't shoot, try a 130 AB or even a 130 Etip.

The reason. I said 10yds. Back years ago out of my grandfather's stand I had a big doe walk up behind me and I didn't shoot her. She dropped where she was. I stepped it off from the ladder of my stand and it was 11 paces. That was the closet shot I've ever had. The rest are mostly 50yds plus but average 75yds. plus. So the 140gr gameking spbt would be ok?

Go with the Gameking HPBT if you want lighter than 150 grains and have closer shots. The HP Gameking is a bit tougher bullet than its SP counterparts, a call to Sierra will confirm this. If it were me though I would run with the 150 Gameking and never look back.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.