Looking for a good 400yd 270 whitetail deer bullet

I've only killed one deer with my 270, and I used 130 gr NBT. The shot was at 250yds, entered between the last 2 ribs and exited behind the off shoulder. Dropped at the shot with tremendous blood loss.

The only 150gr NBT I've ever used was in a 7mm Rem Mag. That shot was 633yds and also DRT. The Noslers are fine deer medicine!

The 130 Nosler Ballistic Tip or the Sierra Game King is all I have ever used with the 270 Win with 60 grs H4831. If you put one in the shoulder of a deer it will not know the difference. I can't remember ever having one take more than three jumps. Most are Bang Flop.

140g Sierra HPBT or 130g Berger Classic Hunter.

Also, the Hornady Interlok and heavier Bergers work well. I have had inconsistent results with the Nosler BT and the Accubonds do not expand as well as I like(accuracy is good though). The LRAB May be a good choice but I have not tried them yet.

My dad has me believing that 130 gr. is to small for deer just because his brother has to shoot deer multiple times with his 270. What I do know is that 55 gr. 223 is not good for behind the shoulder shots. No blood trails no exit. What does he know he uses 180 gr. round nose out of his 30-06 for years. I'm trying to teach my dad about ballistics wish he would listen to me. Thanks for all who replied.

130g Berger Classic Hunter Performance:

Mule deer doe 220 yards...
4ymw.jpg

Whitetail Buck 430 yards...
img2281vp.jpg

My dad has me believing that 130 gr. is to small for deer just because his brother has to shoot deer multiple times with his 270. What I do know is that 55 gr. 223 is not good for behind the shoulder shots. No blood trails no exit. What does he know he uses 180 gr. round nose out of his 30-06 for years. I'm trying to teach my dad about ballistics wish he would listen to me. Thanks for all who replied.

If his brother has to shoot deer multiple times with a 130 gr .270, he needs to learn to shoot better. A well placed 130 gr .270 of decent construction will take any whitetail or mule deer in the country.

When I shot a .270, I used 55.0 gr IMR 4350 under a 130 partition; but the same load worked great under a 130 NBT or Sierra BT.

I would be tempted to try cutting edge bullets like the ER_H82_RAPTOR in thin skin version.

If a deer does not drop on the spot from a 270, the bullet is not efficiently transferring the energy to the game. It is easy to have "not enough" energy transfer, which is a common problem with too solid of bullet.

I would be tempted to try cutting edge bullets like the ER_H82_RAPTOR in thin skin version.

If a deer does not drop on the spot from a 270, the bullet is not efficiently transferring the energy to the game. It is easy to have "not enough" energy transfer, which is a common problem with too solid of bullet.

Say what?!