270 rebuild - medium range

owlcreekmuley

Long time reader, figured I would create an account and actually contribute a bit..lol

Anyways, working on a rebuild and wanted some feedback. I have a FN Winchester 70 super grade that I had cerakoted and bedded in a B&C stock, it has a timney set at 2#. The factory tube was 24" and tapered to approx. .595 at muzzle (#2 contour?)

I tried 27 different combination in 130 grain loads and 11 in 140 loads and the best group I got was a 1.3" group. Most were in the 2-3" range so the rifle is getting "rebuilt". The plan is to build a "medium range" rifle for muleys and elk here in Idaho. Max range of 5-600 yards. Want to stay light as elk country can be steep and nasty and I have other rifles for longer shooting if necessary. I plan to shoot 140 accubonds as fast as I can accurately and safely load them.

I am going to replace the B&C stock with a McMillan Classic Edge and have the new rifle glass bedded in to it.

More importantly I am replacing the barrel with a Shilen Match Grade SS #3 contour and having the action and lugs squared and trued to the barrel. The shilen #3 contour tapers to approx. .625.

Does anyone think I will have any issues with this barrel contour and caliber in this grade of barrel? Im not looking for a bug hole rifle, but a 3/4 moa rifle is minimum in my book to ethically feel comfortable with 4-500 yard shots - especially on deer.

Thoughts? Feedback?

BTW, Talley 1 piece ltwt ringmounts and a zeiss conquest 3-9x40 (No Dialing Here)

Long time reader, figured I would create an account and actually contribute a bit..lol

Anyways, working on a rebuild and wanted some feedback. I have a FN Winchester 70 super grade that I had cerakoted and bedded in a B&C stock, it has a timney set at 2#. The factory tube was 24" and tapered to approx. .595 at muzzle (#2 contour?)

I tried 27 different combination in 130 grain loads and 11 in 140 loads and the best group I got was a 1.3" group. Most were in the 2-3" range so the rifle is getting "rebuilt". The plan is to build a "medium range" rifle for muleys and elk here in Idaho. Max range of 5-600 yards. Want to stay light as elk country can be steep and nasty and I have other rifles for longer shooting if necessary. I plan to shoot 140 accubonds as fast as I can accurately and safely load them.

I am going to replace the B&C stock with a McMillan Classic Edge and have the new rifle glass bedded in to it.

More importantly I am replacing the barrel with a Shilen Match Grade SS #3 contour and having the action and lugs squared and trued to the barrel. The shilen #3 contour tapers to approx. .625.

Does anyone think I will have any issues with this barrel contour and caliber in this grade of barrel? Im not looking for a bug hole rifle, but a 3/4 moa rifle is minimum in my book to ethically feel comfortable with 4-500 yard shots - especially on deer.

Thoughts? Feedback?

BTW, Talley 1 piece ltwt ringmounts and a zeiss conquest 3-9x40 (No Dialing Here)

Welcome to LRH and enjoy!

IIWY, I'd have the barrel 26" in 1:8", load the 165/175 Martix VLDs and Berger 170 and you're golden.

Cheers!

Ed

When my Remington was still a 270 win, I did like the 140 grn Accubond.

Anyway, I rebarreled with a Pac Nor #3 contour (not sure how that compares to Shilen #3), but it's not at all too heavy. Certainly a heavier contour then the factory sportster barrel, but it carries great.

But as FEENIX suggested, definitely consider going with a faster twist than the standard 1:10.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.