Caliber for medium range Elk

nksmfamjp

OK, here is the scenario.....you are a medium range 0-600 yd elk hunter. You are looking for a rifle with moderate(light as possible without a brake) recoil, under 10lbs with scope and on a model 70 action.....

the real question is what caliber? 284 Win, 280 AI, 30-06(AI or regular).....or jump to the magnum bolt face and 7mm Rem Mag, 300 Wthby, etc..

thoughts?

Merry Christmas!

I recommend the 264 Win Mag. I have found my 264 to be a light recoiling gun that makes long shots easy. Works well on elk too! Contrary to what many people will try and tell you elk are not reinforced with concrete and rebar. When I see bad shots it is typically from someone who believed elk were bullet proof, they bought more gun then they can handle, make a poor shot, and then thank god they had the bigger cartridge. My 2 cents.

OK, here is the scenario.....you are a medium range 0-600 yd elk hunter. You are looking for a rifle with moderate(light as possible without a brake) recoil, under 10lbs with scope and on a model 70 action.....

the real question is what caliber? 284 Win, 280 AI, 30-06(AI or regular).....or jump to the magnum bolt face and 7mm Rem Mag, 300 Wthby, etc..

thoughts?

Merry Christmas!

With those criteria I'd probably go with either a .264wm or 7mm Rem. Shoot 140's in the .264 and something in the 150-168gr class in the 7mm and recoil will be very tolerable especially with a brake.

I recommend the 264 Win Mag. I have found my 264 to be a light recoiling gun that makes long shots easy. Works well on elk too! Contrary to what many people will try and tell you elk are not reinforced with concrete and rebar. When I see bad shots it is typically from someone who believed elk were bullet proof, they bought more gun then they can handle, make a poor shot, and then thank god they had the bigger cartridge. My 2 cents.

An old friend who guided bear hunts in AK for about forty years had the same thought process. Most of his "problem hunters" brought more gun than they could shoot without flinching and blew their shots.

He said he'd much prefer a guy shooting a .264wm or 7mm Rem he was competent and comfortable with than any of the super magnums they lacked experience and confidence with/in.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.