Mid-range cow elk caliber???

DUNEZRUNNER

I am looking to rebarrel a 264 win mag. I have a 6mm Remington for the kids and carrying around and a 338/378 Weatherby for my long range elk. I was wondering what I should do for an in between cartridge. I want something that can be used on a cow elk at moderate ranges and deer/antelope at long ranges. Should I stay with the 264 or is there something else out there that is easy on the barreland should that the kids could use as well

Thanks

Thomas

7mm RemMag with a good brake on it (like a Holland or Vias) will be a puppy dog. It will kick like a .243 Win. I've had 2 Browning A-Bolt 7mmRM's with BOSS systems on it (similar to the Vias radial brake), and they were extremely tame. Just had my 2nd one rebarreled, and my smith had a spare Holland laying around, that he decided to put on there for me for free. But from everything he says, it's gonna have even less recoil than it did with the BOSS system on it, which means it will probably be about like shooting a .22-250. If so, thats gonna be a sweet lightweight whitetail rifle.

7mm RemMag with 168-180 Bergers should work excellently on midrange elk, and on long range deer. I use the 168's for deer in my 7mmRM. I shoot the 180 Hybrids in my 7mm STW's.

If you handload, you should also be able to re-use your .264 WinMag brass by running it through a FL 7mm RemMag sizer die, since the 7mmRM was derrived from the .264 WinMag, and they are almost identical, other than bullet diameter.

x2 on the 280.

**After re reading. You already have a mag bolt face so the 7rm is gonna be your best choice. As usual, good call muddrunner.

Last edited:
+1 on MudRunner's post. The 7mm RM would fit your spec perfectly. Lots of varied components and factory loads readily available. Probably the most posted caliber on this forum giving you tons of info. My brother in law's Rem 700 7mm RM shoots the 168 Bergers hand loads very accurately and has harvested several elk and an outstanding muley.
Good luck

284. win would make a nice little round. Softer recoiling then a 7mm mag, reloading is cheaper as well and can still push those rounds pretty quick!

I'd just stick with .264. Good flat shooting round that's not terribly hard on the shoulder and puts game down. What's not to love?

If it were me, I would definitely be choosing one of the 7mm or .300 Short Mags with the head stamp bearing either Remington or Winchester. But I am biased to these so, take it for what it's worth. :D

For me it's the 7mm Dakota shooting Martix 190's #2 would be a 16lb 338 lapua #3 6.5x280 ackley. Obviously these are my pet calibers but all are easy to shoot and make hits with. If I were to change, I would run the 280 ackley for a light pack rifle and the 300 norma with berger 230's for a heavy. But there is nothing wrong with any of the calibers listed, I just like off the wall rounds :)
Have fun!
Chris
Benchmark

I'd probably stick with the 264 if that is what you are building off of. I would use a twist rate fast enough for 160g bullets(1-8).

Otherwise a 7RM would be good also, after-all it is the same cartridge with a .010" bigger bullet.

Mid range cow elk caliber? 30-06 Spr. :)

Actually, with that criteria, about any decent round will get the job done. 308, 30-06, 280, 270, 7-08, etc., etc., ....

Mid range cow elk caliber? 30-06 Spr. :)

Actually, with that criteria, about any decent round will get the job done. 308, 30-06, 280, 270, 7-08, etc., etc., ....

Very true, but remind you his donor rifle is a 264wm. So unless he wants the added expense of a new bolt head, or complete bolt, his best bet is another mag.

If you are wanting to stay with a mag bolt face, then do a 6.5 SAUM. Probably a bit less HP than the 264WM, better barrel life, and less recoil.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.