Caliber for medium range Elk

Any of those out to 300yds, beyond that I'd want Magnum cartridge for the extra initial velocity and flatter trajectory. 30-06 out to 300 and 7mmRM for further shots.

you are a medium range 0-600 yd elk hunter. You are looking for a rifle with moderate(light as possible without a brake) recoil, under 10lbs with scope and on a model 70 action.....

the real question is what caliber?

Sticking to the "rules" of this hypothetical, I would be reaching for the trusty 30-06. However, if that is considered too much recoil in this scenario (I disagree) then the .308 Win.

Terry, you are correct.....many did ignore the "no-brake" requirement. However, magnum "does not" automatically eliminate many magnums. Many folks, my wife included, shoot magnums quite well without "brakes"......she's only good for 6 or 8 rounds from the bench! However, "non-braked" magnums will likely substantially decrease your bench-time! That said, the OP was looking for a "hunting rifle".....not a bench-gun! So, if the OP can tolerate a bit of recoil......many magnums are "back on the table"! memtb

I really like the idea of having plenty of capacity if needed as you can always download or use lighter loaded ammo. I have found 7RM 270 W or WSM anything in that range like the Sherman shorts or SST to work great. Load lighter for less recoil covers all the 280 and 08 stuff. If you need more you can step up to full pressure heavier higher bc bullet loads. It gives you more configurability.

To me nothing lighter than 8lb ready to hunt. I tried one super light 6.5 with scope etc and it was just too twitchy feeling for me. But that's likely a personal thing to some extent.

600 yd leaves you plenty of room and choices with good shot placement.

Small update.....I have acquired the Win M70 L/A in 30-06 for this build. The barrel will go, so likely the caliber will change.....

im half way between 30'06 AI, 280 AI and 300 Sherman....

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.