M24 rebuild program

rancilio

Remington Defense

What do you think about the value in obtaining one of the M24 rebuilds? Assuming that they have rifles available after snipers get their chance, us active duty guys have an opoortunity to buy one.

How does $3500+ compare to another weapon of similar quality?

How much of the cost is for the fact that you are getting an authentic sniper gun?

Rancilio,

For $3500 you could very easily build a far better rifle than what you'd be getting as an M24 rebuild. Better barrel, better stock, better trigger, the whole nine yards. As for being a rebuild on a field used M24, from a collector's standpoint, I'd much rather have one directly from the field. No rebuild other than what the unit level repairs to keep it in the field might entail, but that's just my preference. The sniper applied camo paint, wear and tear dings and all are just character attesting to its service. It was once a warrior; let it retire the same way.

Rancilio,

For $3500 you could very easily build a far better rifle than what you'd be getting as an M24 rebuild. Better barrel, better stock, better trigger, the whole nine yards. As for being a rebuild on a field used M24, from a collector's standpoint, I'd much rather have one directly from the field. No rebuild other than what the unit level repairs to keep it in the field might entail, but that's just my preference. The sniper applied camo paint, wear and tear dings and all are just character attesting to its service. It was once a warrior; let it retire the same way.

Agreed 100% you can do much much better than an m24 its not that great of a deal.

Have you ever shot an M24 its heavy and un ballanced.

Thanks guys. I thought that I read that some of the money would be donated to a Wounded Warrior charity, but I do not see that in any of Remington's M24 rebuild literature. I suppose that they will have buyers nevertheless.

You might be able to build a "better gun" for less, but you still won't have this particular rifle or the entertaining collection of USGI parts that comes with it. Clones are just that,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,clones. This is the real thing, built by Remington with a small group of guys doing all of the work . It is a bit of history more than a hunting rifle.

Uncle Sam is not letting the recievers go, so you won't be buying a real one from the field, period. This is as close as you get. Unless you have a DD214 with the right information on it, you won't be getting one of these either.

I have a Custom Shop 40X that shoots 1/2 moa all day long and has done it for nearly 3000 rounds thus far. They can build a gun as accurate as any gunsmith peddling there stuff here.

I got to test fire several the National Guard used for training, all has thousands of rounds thru them, most had barrels that showed excessive erosion and every one could pass the accuracy spec to stay in service.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.