.264 Win. Mag vs 26 Nosler

My 26" Bartlein 264 win mag shoots 3200fps with 140g NBTs at 1/2 MOA with a stiff charge of Retumbo. It's on the warm side, but that's where she shoots and there's no point in having a 264 if you're only pushing 140s at 3000...Hell a 270 does that.

I am a big 6.5 fan and actually own both a 26 nosler and 264 win. Here's my loads that I settled on and experience with the same components (26" barrel, nosler brass, federal 215m primers, retumbo powder):

264:
- 140gr berger elite hunters, 72.0gr of Retumbo, 3,217 fps - shoots consistently in the .3's
- 156gr berger elite hunters, 68.5gr of Retumbo, 3,103 fps - shoots consistently in the .2's

26 Nosler:
- 140gr Nosler Accubonds, 74.8gr of Retumbo, 3,265fps - shoots in the .1's

One thing that I did notice is that around 76.8gr in the 26 Nosler, you could get another 100 fps, but I had a pretty good plunger/ejector mark on the brass and 2 more grains of powder to only get 100 fps didn't seem like a good tradeoff.

If you were going to pick one, I'd go with the 264 win mag - assuming you are using similar components like I did. The real world gains in the 26 Nosler is not worth it in my opinion for the decrease in barrel life. I have another buddy who loaded up the 140gr accubond in his 264 and his speeds were within 30 fps, with 6 grains less powder - same barrel length, same powder (26", Retumbo). The 264 is just more efficient, bottom line. You start getting diminishing returns after about 70-72gr of powder.

BUT, if you want a 26 Nosler, it works great! As long as you use it as it's intended - it's a hunting caliber. I'm always a proponent for shooting faster, as long as the accuracy is still there - it's just easier to shoot at moderate ranges with less hold over or adjustment in a real world hunting scenario.

Either way, make a call and run with it and have fun!

I'm surprised VV24N41 powder isn't used more. It has been readily available at Powder Valley & at an economical price compared to other powders. It gives me 3222 FPS out of my 264 with 26" bbl & the Nosler 140gr AB with sub 1/2" three shot groups.. Not the slightest sign of over pressure. It is a very slow powder , just a tick slower burning than N570 & a whole lot less expensive. I have Retumbo & Rel33 but I find VV24N41 much more forgiving.

A properly throated 264 will get you 3200fps easily with 140 class bullets. I personally like the 6.5saum better but it's not what the op asked about. So for the op I would do the 264 with a long bore rider throat. Then let them rip.
Shep

Just curious, hype and published numbers aside, anyone here had a chance to compare the two? Pros and cons of either/both? If I were considering 6.5mm for a long range rig w/ higher velocity than 6.5CM or 6.5/284?
=====================================================
I have several 6.5, the 264 mag. I use for Elk, and 6.5 X 55 for everything else. Now for long range I use the 6.5 X 284 with barrel lengths varies from 30" down to 22" the 6.5 X 55 is the lightest to carry all day on you shoulder. The 26 Nosler I do not have as of yet, but I am sure there will be more recoil and will make my wallet a little bit lighter. But if that is what you want go get it. I used a 308 for many years, then I discovered I could build my own and make what I wanted.

I'm surprised VV24N41 powder isn't used more. It has been readily available at Powder Valley & at an economical price compared to other powders. It gives me 3222 FPS out of my 264 with 26" bbl & the Nosler 140gr AB with sub 1/2" three shot groups.. Not the slightest sign of over pressure. It is a very slow powder , just a tick slower burning than N570 & a whole lot less expensive. I have Retumbo & Rel33 but I find VV24N41 much more forgiving.

When I called Berger for 156 load for .264 WM, below is the list of powders provided ...

.264 156 Quickload from Berger.JPG

VV 24N41 is just a tad faster than H50BMG and US869 so it should work as you noted. I will add it to my list. Thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.