264 Win Mag VS 270 Whby

257stw

I have a 264 wm & was thinking of building something else i have a ss rem long mag action sitting here doing nothing. Some guys i know shoot 270 whby's and tell me thats what I should build will i gain anything over the 264 to justify building a 270 whby ? Any thoughts ?

In my opinion, not really much difference in these two rounds. One won't do anything the other won't do. Except maybe at very long range the 264 with the higher BC bullets might have a slight advantage.

The Matrix 165 gr bullet has a BC of .738. Ask BigNGreen how they work. If you build the rifle for this type of bullet You will get some gains. Might want to look at the .28 caliber family for even bigger gains. Bruce

you can quibble about bc of bullets but in the real world of the hunting field theres not going to be enough differnce in drop or in killing power that youd ever notice a differnce.

I shoot the 270mag, and wouldn't begin to think about buying a .264 mag. Even though cases are similar. Barrel life will be far greater with the 270 mag due to design alone. Then add to the fact the the ideal bullet for the .264 is probably the 140 grain bullet. That's where the 270 mag starts to show up, and then goes on from there. I'd imagine bullet construction is similar between the two, and plus the fact that your hunting deer. If it were me, I'd opt for the 7mm WBY mag. Here's why: a much better bullet selection, and a little better bullet construction alone.

Looking at a couple loading manuals I saw that the 6.5-06 is fairly close to the .264 mag, and that alone would be a plus (the .264 is well known to be overbore). The 7mm mag will push a Nosler 175 grain bullet to 3,000 fps and faster. The 160 grain SST will do 3300fps with a .55 B/C. I see no contest here!
gary

What about the new 165 grain matrix bullets for the .277! I think the BC's in the low 7's
How bout it, it's fine.
There are speciality bullets out there right now of 6.5, .277, .284, 308, yada yada that are changing the game & at any time new ones will be out in these calibers thyat tip the scales for a month or two, not really talking about that.

It was just a general statement that across the board in readily avail. bullets for the average Joe
the 6.5 has far more high BC & more target bullets, excluding the ever changing custom bullet market, which long term will be good for both.

BC was never anything to quibble about for me, just mentioning just 1 advantage of the 6.5 in general. I shoot both calibers and both are great, however if I were to look at a bigger cal, I would look at a 7 or bigger cased 30, no biggie.

On light whitetail to about 800 yards it would be a toss up for me, it would really come down to bullet choice. The 270 WBY will give you more range and power with the 165+ grain bullets but it can also smoke a 140 out like a laser. The difference between this class of 6.5, 270 or 7mm is so little it comes down to bullet and range. Elk are completely different, I'll tip an elk over a lot farther with a 270 WBY than I would with the 6.5.

On light whitetail to about 800 yards it would be a toss up for me, it would really come down to bullet choice. The 270 WBY will give you more range and power with the 165+ grain bullets but it can also smoke a 140 out like a laser. The difference between this class of 6.5, 270 or 7mm is so little it comes down to bullet and range. Elk are completely different, I'll tip an elk over a lot farther with a 270 WBY than I would with the 6.5.

As you said, the difference would be the bullet for these 2.

barrel life between the two would be a minor thing too. The 264 has a slightly smaller bore and in theroy would have a bit more barrel wear but on the other hand the 270 wby is loaded to greater pressures and that would more then make up the differnce. Ill put it this way. If a guy had one of either of them it sure isnt going to be worth an argument to go out and buy the other thinking hes gaining anything. I have a 264 and love it. I dont have a 270 wby but almost bought one a couple times. Not because it was better and i didnt pass because it was inferior. Someday if the right deal comes along i still may buy one. Why? Because its fun to play with new guns and calibers.

Just a thought, I'm a big 6.5 fan, not so much so with the 264wm, but I will say that the 270 roy with a 28" barrel will blister a .496 bc 140 accubond out at over 3500fps, when I had mine, my accuracy load was at 3430 and was far from being maxed out. I think the 264wm is a horrible design, the case is to long, shoulder to shallow, and the neck is to short, which means crappy charge density unless you use powders like H870, WC872, AA8700, or US869 and none of those are well known to be stable.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.