260 Rem pet loads

fireroad

Just got a new M700 CDL SF in 260 rem. Been reading alot about reloading for this round and it appears that 140 gr is the ideal bullet weight for the 260...but I have also read that a number of folks couldn't get 140's to shoot worth a darn either. I'm thinking of picking up a box of 140 gr SGK or 130 gr Accubond. Anybody have luck with either of these...and what's your recipe? Thanks in advance.

The only 260 Rem. I have ever fooled with was when Remington first came out with the rifles. My buddy got a SS Rem 700 that had a 24" barrel. There was not even loading data out yet for it and you could not find cases or ammo to shoot up for cases. We made our cases by necking up Remington nickle 243 Win cases to get proper neck length. The 308 Win case left the neck a little too short. We found that this rifle really liked H-4350. We were using Sierra 140 Game Kings and 120 Pro Hunters because this rifle was to be used for deer hunting. We did not have a chrno at the time so I don't know the velocity but it was pretty good because we ended up with powder loads that are about 2 to 3 grs more than Hodgdon list as max loads today but we did not have any pressure problems. This rifle was just plain accurate. It is the only rifle that I have ever seen that would put 3 140's with one load and then 3 120's with a different load in the same hole at 100 yards. My buddy and I controled a big farm in NC where 100 deer a year had to be taken to help control crop damage. My buddy killed 50 some deer that year with that 260 from point blank to a little over 400 yards and he only had one deer take a step after being hit in the front shoulders. I tried to get that rifle off of him but he would not sale it. He now wishes that he wouldhave sold ti to me. Some X$%#@* broke into his house and stold it.

H4831sc is my "go to" powder for 280 rem...makes sense it would be a good 260 rem powder with the heavier bullets. Thanks for the tip on the 140 gr AB, Nosler doesn't list them in the newest manual or on their website.

Fireroad,

great choice in calibre....for me Nosler Custom 260 brass; 43 grains of Viht N160; 139 gr Lapua Scenar (long range target bullet but load can be used with 140gr SMK also); CCI Br 2 primers. You really need a fast twist 1:8 rather than 1:9 to stabilise the heavier bullets in this calibre.

Chronoed about 2665 +/- 10fps through my 260 Rem...and I have taken it out to 1200 yards successfully.

As always you will need to build you load and ensure it is safe in your rifle.

I own a Rem Model 7 in 260 Rem.. Last year I had a Hart barrel installed and now I am happy with the way the gun shoots.

I plan to take this gun with me to Nebraska in Nov. to hunt whitetails. I am trying to decide which load to take with me. I have two very good loads and I will let the targets at 300-400 yards decide for me. Here are the two loads.

120 TTSX bullets
RP cases
Fed 210 Primers
RL-17 44.0 grains Max load (Work up to this)
Velocity 2950 ft/sec

130 Nosler Accubond
RP cases
WLR primers
RL-19 Max load (47 grains) Work up to this
Velocity 2930 ft/sec

P.S. I forgot to mention that my gun has a 22 inch barrel. If your Model 700 has a 24 inch barrel you should be able to get 75-100 ft/sec more than I am getting. Also my gun has a 1in9 twist which I think is the standard twist so I have shot only a few 140 grain bullets.

Last edited:
My rifle has a 24" bbl and I will be using CCI BR2 primers. Hven't decided on brass yet, was going to go withe RP but I may check out the Nosler.

Zigliss - What are your impressions of the Nosler custom brass?

I have to say I have found Nosler custom to be very good. Excellent consistency and you do not have to mess around necking Lapua or other top end brass down (or up!). I know some others will disagree, and sure it is expensive, but I would probably not bother with anything else right now.

I am shooting target with my 260 so other brass makes may be fine if you are in the field hunting game and do not (necessarily) need a clover leaf at 200 yards!

Good to know about the Nosler brass. I had no desire to neck up/down lapua...if I'm going to pay that kind of money it better come exactly how I need it.

My .260 is for feral hogs and recreational target shoting, but I sure would love to be able to shoot clover leaves at 200 yds :D

I wonder if a 1:9 twist is enough to stabilize a 130 gr AB out to 600 yds?

The 9 twist will be fine for 130 NABs.....whats better than a 260 ? A 260 Improved....I use Lapua...IMI....Win 308 brass for my 260 loads...Earlier this year I assembled my second 260 AI on a s/shot large shank Savage action using a heavy no taper 1.118" x 28" Pac Nor 8 twist...here's a target from rds 8-9-10 from the new bbl...yes H4831sc...rifle weighs just under 18#...RE19 is second powder choice..140 VLD Bergers do well too....

Last edited:
Wow, nice shootin! Didn't know there was such a thing as a 260AI, I'm going to have to do some research on that one. My gun budget is pretty much depleted this year (until I sell my Beretta 92F) but my first custon rifle will be a 280AI.

Have you tried the 140 ABs?

1:9 is fine up to 130gr - any heavier and I would want a 1:8.

Toyed with the idea of a 260AI but I have a 6.5-284 (barrel burner!) so opted for the standard 260. I also have it set into an AICS stock and am not convinced that 260AI would feed through the mag reliably.

This current 260 AI has been a back burner project......didn't spend much time with it this summer.....still 4-6 weeks of good p/doggin' to go yet...haven't tried 140 NABs yet....only 140 Bergers...feeding is not an issue with mine...its a solid bottom large shank s/shot Savage action...glass is 4200 Tact.....

VZ24 action
260 Rem, 22" Douglas long chambered barrel
VZ24 stock with barrel channel milled out but no epoxy
Weaver #45 and #46 two piece steel scope mounts with Devcon Steel putty
under the mounts and Loctite 242 on the threads. Burris Low tactical
rings with 6 screws on the cap and a bolt on the Weaver rail.
IOR 2.5x10x42 scope with MP-8 1/2 mili rad reticule in first focal plane
and moa turrets. Rubber tube extensions on both ends of the scope. Scope
center is 1.9" above bore center.
100 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip moly coated # 26100 bullet moly coated ,
45.0 gr canister IMR4895,
2.940" over all length, almost no insertion of the bullet into the neck,
due to the short bullet and long throat.
Quickload prediction 61,328 psi 3261 fps
chronographs as 3,236 fps

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.