260 rem ideas and pet loads

albertakid

So long story short I am a long time reloader and shooter just picked up a new savage predator in 260 for my oldest son as this will be his first year hunting in montana and I have been doing load developement for it.

First thing I did was scour through all the online reloading forums I visit for info and looked for loads and powders used by others.

I came to the conclusion that h 4831 and h 4350 would be good starting points to push the 140 bergers I plan on shooting.

Well with the powder shortage around here I was unable to aquire any hodgon powder, but did have some imr in both 4831 and 4350
as well as some h1000 so I made test loads with all three powders and quickly came to the conclusion that out of these three powders h1000 shot by far the best averageing 5/8 of an inch at 100...comopared to 1 1/2 with the others

Now my question is does imr produce similiar enough results to hodgon that I should just work on my h1000 load developement or wait and try to pick up some h 4831 and 4350 and give it a try.

Also are there any other powders that you fellas have found to work well with the 140's out of the 260?? anyone try varget??

I am thinking that in all reality if i can get my h1000 loads to average .5 and the sd and es are suitable I might just stick with it even though it isn't the norm just because I have several rifles that use the same powder and like to buy large lots of it.

Look a few pages down and you will see a current post with several good loads and powder choices

I have a 260 in an AR 10. Not a speedy load, but very, very accurate. Try working up to 38.0 gr. of Varget behind a 142gr. Sierra Match King. You'll need to know ranges and elevation "dopes" for long range. Don't know how it performs on game, but would imagine they won't know what hit them and turned their lights out!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.