26 Nosler????? !!!!!

From the short amount of reading I have done, wouldn't R33 work well with the 140s jammed? I know in the 300 and 338 RUM loads I have looked at and the information from Kirby R33 likes bullets jumped very shortly or jammed. I wouldn't hesitate at using H50BMG also. Although a 30" barrel might be the way to go with this cartridge. Just sayin'.

Reuben
I already talked to Chris at Benchmark and so we're going to start with a 28" Tube and leave enough of a shank on it to set it back a time or two. Might as well get as much mileage as possible out of it LOL.

Retumbo and H1000 are out.

Next up is US869. Got a feeling this one is going to put me right were I want to be. Hope to have it worked over with results by this weekend.

76gr of H1000 put me just at 3,230fps
78gr of Retumbo ran 3,278fps
(Both are pretty much max in this barrel)

Oh yeah, I have a full report on this rifle. Just wish I wasn't running 2 to 4 weeks behind. IF that were not the case, I would have many loads run and likely be at that 500 round mark by now. Between weather, shipping error, you name it, everything has been set back a week if not two.
Good thing is weather is coming around for better early testing. Naturally the main loads will have to be tested at around 90F or better for solid real world data.

Al I can say is if you use H50 bmg ( does not work in this cal). Us 872 ( is great) or some of the slowest vitavouri's, the barrel will be GONE in 400 rounds. Barnes is my go to bullet. They will hold up as well as the accubond. Do NOT use a hollow point or thin skinned bullet. If you do it will run apart. The OTM might be the exception.

I might add I quit loading the powder when the case head expansion reached .030. If your running 500 rounds your loading much a much lighter load than I am.

Last edited:
Still waiting for this "fad" to die. Atleast with the wsm there was a need for such a case. I just dont understand this one at all. As a handloader i just dont see ANY benefit with this round. If i were a non reloader or commercial buyer Id seriously look at another caliber because barrel life and limited manufacturers. From what ive seen the brass is **** expensive and for the nonhandloader im sure the ammo will be expensive as well. Just not very sure what perks this caliber has to offer.

Retumbo and H1000 are out.

Next up is US869. Got a feeling this one is going to put me right were I want to be. Hope to have it worked over with results by this weekend.

76gr of H1000 put me just at 3,230fps
78gr of Retumbo ran 3,278fps
(Both are pretty much max in this barrel)

264WM 160gr Woodleigh PPSN at 3095fps with 71gr H570. So why not try the Matrix 160gr VLD with a .685 BC?

Still waiting for this "fad" to die. Atleast with the wsm there was a need for such a case. I just dont understand this one at all. As a handloader i just dont see ANY benefit with this round. If i were a non reloader or commercial buyer Id seriously look at another caliber because barrel life and limited manufacturers. From what ive seen the brass is **** expensive and for the nonhandloader im sure the ammo will be expensive as well. Just not very sure what perks this caliber has to offer.

I can understand your opinion & you're welcome to it. Fast & flat isn't much of a fad in my opinion (& we know what those are worth :rolleyes:). The ultra mags came out a long time ago & are going strong, the 26 is in essence, the 6.5 ultra mag. Benefits? Fastest, flattest shooting, hardest hitting 6.5 on the commerical market with factory ammo available. The only caveat I see, again in my own opinion, is that Nosler completely wiffed on bullet selection. This should have been offered with the 140 accu-bomb & NOT the 129. By utilizing bullets of higher weight, the overall bore life should be increased.

Is it for everyone? no. Neither are Ferraris.

264WM 160gr Woodleigh PPSN at 3095fps with 71gr H570. So why not try the Matrix 160gr VLD with a .685 BC?

I think the 160 Matrix will be THE bullet of choice in the 26 Nosler (I understand you aren't referencing it specifically for that cartridge here). Long range smackdown should be outstanding at the speed possible in the Nosler case; again raising the bar of 6.5 performance.

t

Does anyone have a couple of spare .26 Nosler brass that they won't be reloading again? Maybe some that are nearing the end of their lifespan? I would like to get them from you for wildcat experimentation purposes.

Shoot me a PM if you can help.

Thanks

I can understand your opinion & you're welcome to it. Fast & flat isn't much of a fad in my opinion (& we know what those are worth :rolleyes:). The ultra mags came out a long time ago & are going strong, the 26 is in essence, the 6.5 ultra mag. Benefits? Fastest, flattest shooting, hardest hitting 6.5 on the commerical market with factory ammo available. The only caveat I see, again in my own opinion, is that Nosler completely wiffed on bullet selection. This should have been offered with the 140 accu-bomb & NOT the 129. By utilizing bullets of higher weight, the overall bore life should be increased.

Is it for everyone? no. Neither are Ferraris

I think the 160 Matrix will be THE bullet of choice in the 26 Nosler (I understand you aren't referencing it specifically for that cartridge here). Long range smackdown should be outstanding at the speed possible in the Nosler case; again raising the bar of 6.5 performance.

t
I was showing what is possible in the 264 WM and just thinking that the 160gr PPSN would be a great big game bullet in the 26 with a .509 BC and hoping that you would try the PPSN and the VLD 160gr bullets and post the results. I know it is hard to find the old H570 powder as I just happened to have a friend that gave me 3 lbs. I was hoping that someone would make a powder similar to it.

The only caveat I see, again in my own opinion, is that Nosler completely wiffed on bullet selection. This should have been offered with the 140 accu-bomb & NOT the 129.

First of all, i appreciate the kindness. Some guys get offended so easily by other opinions. I understad fast, flat, and powerful aspect. Ive been looking into gettin a 338 cheytac so im all for fast and powerful deal. But most guys ive spoken too about the 26 nosler, their #1 argument is that its the best commercial 6.5 available. It isnt the best commercially available ammo BECAUSE of the bullet choices. I agree completely. For reloaders there have alllways been bigger cases to outrun this 26 nosler. I just dont see the hype is bout. Reloaders can make much faster, powerful, and efficient 6.5's and commercial buyers are stuck with 129 grain pills. Thats all im saying. Just really curious as to why there is so much excitement???

First of all, i appreciate the kindness. Some guys get offended so easily by other opinions. I understad fast, flat, and powerful aspect. Ive been looking into gettin a 338 cheytac so im all for fast and powerful deal. But most guys ive spoken too about the 26 nosler, their #1 argument is that its the best commercial 6.5 available. It isnt the best commercially available ammo BECAUSE of the bullet choices. I agree completely. For reloaders there have alllways been bigger cases to outrun this 26 nosler. I just dont see the hype is bout. Reloaders can make much faster, powerful, and efficient 6.5's and commercial buyers are stuck with 129 grain pills. Thats all im saying. Just really curious as to why there is so much excitement???
Because there are people on the internet who think everything new is God's gift to the world. That's why. Sadly it's because most people these days are idiots (generally speaking, not talking about anyone on here), and they take something and absolutely RUN with it, without any prior basis or facts to stand it on.

I love Nosler products, don't get wrong. Their brass is top notch (Norma makes it for them), but I feel the same as you about this one...And have since I first read about it. I think it's over-inflated hype. 400 rounds of barrel life doesn't even seem like long enough to develope a load, and shoot a few animals and then, it magically starts missing the entire backstop. LOL That, to me, is a waste of a caliber and barrel.

Last edited:
Viking- no worries brother, I hear you. There aren't many wildcat's that I can think of that outrun the Nosler, it is to the point of diminishing returns. From the top of my head the 6.5 Allen Mag & 6.5STW are two that might be able to squeeze a little more. My interest in the Nosler comes from the reloaders side where I can utilize factory brass for a very high performance 6.5 that will function very well though a standard S/A magazine. From a ease of use standpoint, there isn't a wildcat anywhere (that comes to mind) that can be used more time efficiently. Whether it's worth it or not, is up to the individual.

Mud- Easy on the religion comments, that's a no-no here; & no, i'm not a mormon. At this time, we only have info that one (1) barrel went south at 400 rounds. Kirby's AM lasts longer than that & it holds as much or MORE powder. That simply is not enough evident to conclude the expected life of this caliber. Is it going to last 1k? Probably not, but as of right now, no one seems to know.

t

Viking- no worries brother, I hear you. There aren't many wildcat's that I can think of that outrun the Nosler, it is to the point of diminishing returns. From the top of my head the 6.5 Allen Mag & 6.5STW are two that might be able to squeeze a little more. My interest in the Nosler comes from the reloaders side where I can utilize factory brass for a very high performance 6.5 that will function very well though a standard S/A magazine. From a ease of use standpoint, there isn't a wildcat anywhere (that comes to mind) that can be used more time efficiently. Whether it's worth it or not, is up to the individual.

Mud- Easy on the religion comments, that's a no-no here; & no, i'm not a mormon. At this time, we only have info that one (1) barrel went south at 400 rounds. Kirby's AM lasts longer than that & it holds as much or MORE powder. That simply is not enough evident to conclude the expected life of this caliber. Is it going to last 1k? Probably not, but as of right now, no one seems to know.

t

Im doing alot of experiments with the 300 norma case. Why hasnt anyone shortened and necked the case down to 6.5. Seems like a fit for the Ferrari guys. Also, i dont agree with chuckhawks on many things but i think im gunna side with him on the 26 nosler article.

.26 Nosler

I will be sure to read the article. I have heard of a few gents necking the 7mm Dakota case to 6.5 but do not recall any of the pertinent data.

Thanks for the link.

t

I will be sure to read the article. I have heard of a few gents necking the 7mm Dakota case to 6.5 but do not recall any of the pertinent data.

Thanks for the link.

t

Hehe as i said, i usually dont support him most of the time. Some of his opinions are a bit different from my ideals.

Btw, i just remembered the 6.5 prometheus. 3700fps i believe..

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.