26 nosler

It is primarily white tail, but I was having trouble finding the nosler 142's so I was thinking that you could reload a light weight bullet in the 28 and have the same thing. I am new to reloading so I'm not sure.

It is primarily white tail, but I was having trouble finding the nosler 142's so I was thinking that you could reload a light weight bullet in the 28 and have the same thing. I am new to reloading so I'm not sure.
You would lose alot of wind margin shooting a light weight 7mm bullet. The 160ab or 162eld would be the lightest bullet you should try in a 28. Even that at 3300ish would get to the outside of the envelope of the eld. The Accubond though would be up to the high speed impact close. Once your out to distance though your losing speed/energy disproportionately faster than the higher bc 7mm bullets s well as the 6.5's. A matrix 160 in the 26 would be great combo. THe 156 berger coming will need a faster twist than 8 so plan accordingly.

Neither the 26 nor the 28 Nosler are going a way. Personally I'd stick with the PRC or just go with the .264wm if it were me and I wanted to run faster than the .260/6.5CM.

If you just want to do something crazy the 6.5LRM which is just the 7mm LRM necked down to 6.5 or the straight 6.5-375 Ruger are both great ways to go.

I think I've even figured out how to neck down my large supply of .375 Ruger to form my own 6.5LRM brass using a step down process using .338 and .300wsm neck dies and then running them through my Hornady custom 7LRM with the final step repeating the last but adding a 6.5 bushing instead of the 7mm.

The 28 pushing a barnes 145lrx will be fast an flat shooting, plus you have the option to go to the 180-190 for a high bc.
I run the 127lrx in my 26 at 3490fps, shoots plenty flat, and wind drift inside 500 yards is decent. Stretched out longer distances a 147eld would be a better bullet, haven't tried it yet, but you can push a 142gr a bit over 3300fps, so I would think 3250 is doable with a 147.
If you truely want flat shooting out to 400-500 yards my 300rum will push a 130tsx just under 3900fps. Pretty flat shooting!

To do that you give up a lot of BC so velocity drops faster and accuracy suffers.

The 28 pushing a barnes 145lrx will be fast an flat shooting, plus you have the option to go to the 180-190 for a high bc.
I run the 127lrx in my 26 at 3490fps, shoots plenty flat, and wind drift inside 500 yards is decent. Stretched out longer distances a 147eld would be a better bullet, haven't tried it yet, but you can push a 142gr a bit over 3300fps, so I would think 3250 is doable with a 147.
If you truely want flat shooting out to 400-500 yards my 300rum will push a 130tsx just under 3900fps. Pretty flat shooting!
No it won't, you're giving up way too much BC.

I have a 28 nosler and had Steve at Hammer Bullets work up load data. Getting 3446FPS with 155 gr bullets. Gonna shoot plenty flat and take out White tails and Elk from 10 yards to 1000.

Let me know if you need brass, i have a good many because i shot both my 26s barrel out. Changed them to a 6.5 Norma. i think the 26 is going away just because of that.
28 is great but a 195 EOL VLD will blow right through pretty much any whitetail out to a grand and have done it twice. A 6.5 just seems to devastate whitetail or muley. My wife just shot her 1st elk with a 6.5 140 VLD at 455 yards and 15 steps later he went down. like the guy above pretty much drop anything in our world.

I have a 28N with a 26 inch barrel shooting 143gn Hammer bullets at 3613fps with N570.
I chose that bullet for its flat shooting, hard hitting performance.

How accurate is this setup and is the recoil very bad.
With any decent brake the recoil is gong to be very manageable. With the ligher bullets it will be pretty mild on par with the 7RM shooting heavier loads and slightly less than the 7mm STW shooting 160 class bullets.

Both of my neices have no trouble shooting my STW's two of which are under 9lbs and the girls are all under 120lbs.

I have a 28N with a 26 inch barrel shooting 143gn Hammer bullets at 3613fps with N570.
I chose that bullet for its flat shooting, hard hitting performance.
Unless you are shooting very long range there is very few combos that can contend with this. Running with a Mac point blank range zero you can hold hair to close to 500y. That is simply amazing! Makes you very lethal.

And this work a bullet that will not have trouble with the launch speed or close range high vel impacts. Can do so without destroying your table trophy.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.