26 Nosler????? !!!!!

Hey thanks! Where did you find that 26 Nosler Load info at? I had searched a little but hadn't hit it hard just yet.
I am going to drop the Retumbo charge and run a few out this evening. If all goes well I will get switched to H1000 and see what it does on Saturday.

The Ammo Guide website has that load data for the 26 Nosler.....

I am in the process of developing loads for my 6.5 Pro and have been searching out all load data I can find for the 6.5 STW and 6.5 Weatherby, max loads for these can be used as starting loads for the 26 Nosler and my 6.5 Pro ....

the 6.5 WBY was used most effectively with the old H870, US 869 has a pretty similar burn rate
might just be the go to powder for the 26 Noodler........

heres what Kirby experienced with Retumbo and his 6.5 Allen Mag, almost a decade ago..

Re: 6.5 ultra mag ballistics?
D-a,

Yes it is very close to that but let me warn that I would highly recommend not going with the full length RUM case such as the 7mm, 300 or 375 which are longer then the 338 RUM case.

YOu will be limited to using ball powders such as H-870, AA8700 and the very slow surplus powders such as 872. This is not a problem as they work very well btu you will have a powder bridging problem with a shoulder angle of this degree or sharper.

That meaning when fired the powder charge will compress and wedge in the shoulder-neck junction of the case and cause soem severe pressure variations. I tested Retumbo and even H-50BMG in mine and experienced this problem. One shot would show no pressure signs at all while the next would blow the primer pocket.

This is not a problem at all with the ultra slow ball powders listed so keep this in mind, will save you time and headaches down the road.

Now my 270 Allen Mag did not have this problem due to the larger bore, still 8700 works extremely well in this.

Other benefits of the ball powders is they burn much cooler then stock powders and are much less abrasive as they are forced through the throat of the rifle. A major consideration in case life when your burning +100 gr or powder in a 6.5mm bore.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats

The Ammo Guide website has that load data for the 26 Nosler.....

I am in the process of developing loads for my 6.5 Pro and have been searching out all load data I can find for the 6.5 STW and 6.5 Weatherby, max loads for these can be used as starting loads for the 26 Nosler and my 6.5 Pro ....

the 6.5 WBY was used most effectively with the old H870, US 869 has a pretty similar burn rate
might just be the go to powder for the 26 Noodler........

heres what Kirby experienced with Retumbo and his 6.5 Allen Mag, almost a decade ago..
6.5 Weatherby (.264 Wby) is based on the .257/.270/7mm Wby case... How can its load data compare with the 6.5 STW? Unless you're referring to the 6.5-300 Weatherby?

6.5 Weatherby (.264 Wby) is based on the .257/.270/7mm Wby case... How can its load data compare with the 6.5 STW? Unless you're referring to the 6.5-300 Weatherby?

ya the 6.5-300 Wby..... Just using case capacity as close to the 26 Nosler as possible, the dinky 7mm Wby case necked down to 6.5 and 264 Win Mag data can be used also, pick the powders with the slowest burn rate add 10 grains to the max load and you have a starting point for the 26 Nosler

In a pinch for time so about 4am (before work) I pulled bullets, ensured powder was all out, charged with 78gr's and 78.5gr's (dropped from 79 and 79.5), seated new bullets.
This evening I ran 3 at 78gr with the Magnetospeed and it turned an avg of 3,278fps.

I pulled the Magnetospeed and dialed to 500yrds. Bipod, rear bag, this is the 4 shot 500yrd group I shot. Upper right was last shot, I knew I rushed it. Conditions were pretty darn fair, no windage dialed and running 7.5 MOA.

Still a little on the warm side, but I know I could have pulled this group together with more rounds and bag set up.

Next up H1000. Hoping my delivery of BRASS, bullets and powder shows up soon. Should be rather positive.

photo_zps87061d6d.jpg

Last edited:
Gunner75 can you keep an eye on how many rounds you put down the tube for us please. We've had one report of only 400 and the barrels gone, having another barrel to compare to would help us to decide if it's an extreme burner or not.

It might be helpful to define this term and how it was determined to be gone.

The first 1/2 inch of barrel was so cracked and eroded. It started to shoot erratically. What was interesting was one side of the barrel was worse than the other. I have never seen this. Any Ideas on this. I am going to rebarrel with a Lothar barrel with its harder steel and see what happens. Hawkeye bore scope is what I use to check the lead of a barrel.

Oh yeah, I have a full report on this rifle. Just wish I wasn't running 2 to 4 weeks behind. IF that were not the case, I would have many loads run and likely be at that 500 round mark by now. Between weather, shipping error, you name it, everything has been set back a week if not two.
Good thing is weather is coming around for better early testing. Naturally the main loads will have to be tested at around 90F or better for solid real world data.

At the likely velocities you'd get with a case this size I'm doubting you'll be able to get those lighter bullets to make it all the way to the target without disintegrating.
Its worth a try after all 55 gr 22 cal bullets hold together at 4200fps.95 I put 73gr H4831 behind the 85gr hp and 72gr behind the 95gr and 100gr bullets.

From the short amount of reading I have done, wouldn't R33 work well with the 140s jammed? I know in the 300 and 338 RUM loads I have looked at and the information from Kirby R33 likes bullets jumped very shortly or jammed. I wouldn't hesitate at using H50BMG also. Although a 30" barrel might be the way to go with this cartridge. Just sayin'.

Reuben

Its worth a try after all 55 gr 22 cal bullets hold together at 4200fps.95 I put 73gr H4831 behind the 85gr hp and 72gr behind the 95gr and 100gr bullets.
Once upon a time I was a complete speed freak and kept pushing light 7mm's in the STW to see what I could get out of it along with some .220 swifts shooting 40 grainers and some lead core .17 Rem's all to beyond what was recommended.

It was hard as hell on barrels and even harder on bullets. I shot a coyote with the .17 at about sixty yards and then had to shoot him again a few hours later with a .22lr when we came across him.

The bullet had exploded just before hitting him and we found a fragmentation pattern about 12" or so in diameter and the jacket, missing all of its lead folded inside out buried up just under the skin.

We could see some of the STW and Swift's just go "poof" and vaporize before ever hitting a hundred yard target.

I suspect if you try doing the same with the 26 shooting anything but a solid monometal bullet you'll end up with similar results.

The caliber is designed for shooting 130 and heavier bullets so that's what I'm going to stick with and I'm going to try real hard not to burn a barrel before I've got a good feel for it.

Having been pretty well on the injured reserve list since September and doing very little shooting and almost no hunting over the last few months I'm definitely looking forward to getting back in the groove though!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.