26 nosler necked to 7mm??

chad44

I just saw an episode on tv with mcwhorter rifle and they are claiming that their 26nosler necked up to 284 will push 180 gr berger to 3100 + FPS. can this be? That's faster than most all 7mm I know of. And this isn't even a magnum is it?

I just saw an episode on tv with mcwhorter rifle and they are claiming that their 26nosler necked up to 284 will push 180 gr berger to 3100 + FPS. can this be? That's faster than most all 7mm I know of. And this isn't even a magnum is it?
I would think 3100 with that cartridge should not be hard to achieve. The 7mmSTW can do it and the 7 RUM also. I suspect the 7mm Dakota would also be right there.

Magnum is a confusing term to me. Just because they don't have a belt doesn't mean they are not a magnum. Somehow back in 1912 with the introduction of the 375 H&H people started relating the term magnum with belted cartridges. The 7mm Remington Ultra Mag has no belt, neither does the Dakota or the LRM. My 280 Ackley with 27" barrel will shoot right along side of my 7 Rem mag with a 24". Nobody calls it a magnum........maybe they should???

the 7-300 win mag will shoot that fast as well, and a tad more with a little bit longer barrel with way cheaper brass and a lot less powder

or 375 ruger down to ....338... 30.. or 7mm still less powder than factory stuff...
lots of big case 7mms already.. 7mm stw & ultra already have more powder capacity...
nosler shows 3150 in the stw with the new LR AB 175GN..

Like has been stated already... The 7mmSTW and 7RUM can already do that...

The .28 Nosler should be able to do it with no problem, as well.

What bolt face does the 26 nosler use?
standard magnum.

Same as:
.264 Rem Mag
7mm Rem Mag
338 Win Mag
300 Win Mag
7mm STW
8mm Rem Mag
270 WSM
7mm WSM
300 WSM
325 WSM
270 RSAUM
7mm RSAUM
7mm RUM
300 RUM
338 RUM
375 RUM
375 H & H

and lots lots more

Sure are alot of people laying claim to this .28 Nosler design lately, Fred... Have you noticed that?
I don't care.

We know when I started working on it. We know I made it public. We know I'm the only one willing to publicly work on load data and freely share it.

If someone wants to claim proprietary, fogedaboudit.

I don't care.

We know when I started working on it. We know I made it public. We know I'm the only one willing to publicly work on load data and freely share it.

If someone wants to claim proprietary, fogedaboudit.

:D That was exactly the response I was expecting. LOL

Nosler has been working on their '28 for some time now. As well as their 338 and behind it is the .22
And a 30

It's a shame that Nosler is so "corporate" that they move at a snails pace.

Started working on figuring out the 26-Nosler on rumor/first word prior to the "official" announcement at 2014 SHOT Show.

I finished my designs in January 2014. .257 to .458. Entered them on AmmoGuide in February.

Called and emailed Nosler about the larger bores.

Ordered the first reamer in March maybe April. Dave Kiff had already listed them as products by then.

Worked on actions/guns throughout the year.

Now a year later. Nosler has messed with the specifications for the 30 and 33. They are no longer the same as the original. They did the same thing Remington did with the RUM which was to reduce the capacity of the large bores and ruin the concept.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.