7MM Remington Magnum necked down to 6.5

SomeGuy71

Has anyone here had experience with the 7MM Remington Magnum necked down to 6.5? I would be using it for occasional target shooting and possibly antelope. I understand that it would probably not have the best barrell life. My 7MM needs to be re-barreled and I am already having the trigger replaced. I am also thinking about having it necked down to 6.5 for fun. Would this basically be a 264 WM?

Has anyone here had experience with the 7MM Remington Magnum necked down to 6.5? I would be using it for occasional target shooting and possibly antelope. I understand that it would probably not have the best barrell life. My 7MM needs to be re-barreled and I am already having the trigger replaced. I am also thinking about having it necked down to 6.5 for fun. Would this basically be a 264 WM?

It would indeed be a .264 Win Mag.

morning, yes and a very good round. with the array
of bullet weights produced the old 264 finally
gets its due. me I would go with a AI shoulder
on the casing. more powder and less case stretch.
justme gbot tum

Yup, .264 win mag. You could improve on the old standard .264 wm though.....have it throated properly for the heavy high bc bullets if that is what your gonna use. The .264 wm has a very short throat. You could also use your 7mm rem mag brass you already have. If you have a bushing die, you could also just get a different bushing and use the same dies.

The .264 wm of my father's that I put together and load for sends 147's at 3240 and got the 156's up to 3200 with retumbo, it's quite a hot rod for such an old cartridge.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.