257 weatherby secret sauce

Ive got a Vanguard S2 in 257 Roy and love it. I shot a 115 Berger with IMR 7828 for a few years and the accuracy didn't seem very consistent for me.... possibly because of the freebore on the rifle. I recently switched to the 100gr Barnes TTSX and IMR 7828. It shoots really well and very consistent. Im in the 3500fps range... it will be my deer load for this season.
Good luck with your new toy! The 257 Roy is a fantastic cartridge.
Scooter

My 257wby is on its third barrel. In the past I mostly used the 100 bullets for deer with entirely good results. The Barnes TTSX really shot well and it killed really well, including one of my largest bucks to date. Been hunting in areas where the possibility of stretching the barrel out a little has prompted me to switch to the 115 Bergers. These are shooting very well, killed a few deer so far with them but nothing that would be considered far. Deer dropped in their tracks with a loud Thwack!!!!
Tried the 115 ballistic tips and they exploded on a deer at 100 yards.
Just about anything that rifle shoots accurately will kill like lightning out of the 257.
Gary

I've had great luck with the 115bt nosler in mine and I'm pushing it fast with a 28" tube. I was actually really worried at first about the bullet exploding. But I've shot a lot of deer and pigs under 100 with great results. It's my late season doe thinning rig.

RL26, Retumbo, H1000, etc. Bullets 110AB, 115NBT, 115Berger for deer sized, and varmints I have had great success with 85NBT's. I have also used the old 85Barnes and the 80TTSX for fast/flat shooting on Eastern Whitetails, but for me, they did not kill "quite" as fast.

Hey guys,
Just got the 257 Weatherby Cooper 24 inch stainless barrel in. Looking for the fastest accurate loads to use. I want to use scirocco ii's and get them as fast and accurate as possible, what powders primers etc.. to use? Going to hunt deer, hogs, maybe a bear (Tennessee area game) I dont load but my friend does and am trying to find a place to start to work a load up. I like the higher bc rounds and was going to ptobably sight it in at the maximum point blank range. Going to put a vortex amg 6-25x50 on it. was thinking about working up a 2nd round for varmints and such, maybe the 90gr blitz kings or 100 gr ballistic tips so they blow up on impact and dont pass through like a ttsx. If i were to do a all copper round would you guys recommend the ttsx or the nosler etips? Nosler looks pretty promising..i guess it sounds like i am shuffling around all over the place and want to use this puppy for everything. I am coming up from a tikka 243 that shoots the hornady varmint 58 grain shells. I am not great at ballistics and want to try to make shooting this rifle as simple as possible. I have a range finder but i dont have the data to make calculated adjustments on the scope. Maybe eventually it will be shot enough to know what or where to adjust. Maybe at the end of the day it will just shoot the scirocco ii's if i can get them to be sub moa or in my dreams half moa. Any help or guidance is appreciated and feel free to bring me back down to earth.
I once owned a 257 WBY. All I can say is, if you load it hot (FAST) you'll get no more than 3 reloading on your brass. Great cartridge though.

I use the 110gr Accubond at 3620fps for everything from rabbits to Sambar deer and have never wished for any other bullet although I have plenty to choose from. Groups are regularly 3 shots cutting 1 hole. In my 27" bbl I can push this bullet beyond 3700fps, but am happy with it backed off to prolong case and barrel life.
Norma brass, Fed 215, AR2217 (equiv H1000), with bullets seated close to the lands.
Good luck, it's an awesome round

My buddy is a die wby fan and rocks a 257 with RL 26 and 100gr ttsx at 3830 FPS !! It kills really well.

don't bother telling me that's a hot load because he is avid reloader and knows what he is doing.
I would not hesitate to shoot anything in North America with a 257 wby.
Frigging lazer beams those things !

Hey guys,
Just got the 257 Weatherby Cooper 24 inch stainless barrel in. Looking for the fastest accurate loads to use. I want to use scirocco ii's and get them as fast and accurate as possible, what powders primers etc.. to use? Going to hunt deer, hogs, maybe a bear (Tennessee area game) I dont load but my friend does and am trying to find a place to start to work a load up. I like the higher bc rounds and was going to ptobably sight it in at the maximum point blank range. Going to put a vortex amg 6-25x50 on it. was thinking about working up a 2nd round for varmints and such, maybe the 90gr blitz kings or 100 gr ballistic tips so they blow up on impact and dont pass through like a ttsx. If i were to do a all copper round would you guys recommend the ttsx or the nosler etips? Nosler looks pretty promising..i guess it sounds like i am shuffling around all over the place and want to use this puppy for everything. I am coming up from a tikka 243 that shoots the hornady varmint 58 grain shells. I am not great at ballistics and want to try to make shooting this rifle as simple as possible. I have a range finder but i dont have the data to make calculated adjustments on the scope. Maybe eventually it will be shot enough to know what or where to adjust. Maybe at the end of the day it will just shoot the scirocco ii's if i can get them to be sub moa or in my dreams half moa. Any help or guidance is appreciated and feel free to bring me back down to earth.
You have a lot on your plate with perimeters you have payed out. Start out with a good reloading manuel or manuels and study the powder used for a good bullet in the weight you want. I load the heavy for caliber bullets suitable for the 1:10 twist barrel. Search this forum for information on the 257 WBM. Do your studying first.

I have a new mark Mark V that LOVES the 92gr Hammer Hunters and RL19. Three shot average was 3793', a SD of 1, and a quarter inch hole edge to edge.
I have no doubt it'd kill anything you stated you want to hunt. Load work up took 9 shots. I ran a ladder.

*edit*
PM me if you want load details. It was the easiest load work up up I've ever had using those Hammers!
I also have a Cooper in 257 Weatherby and am entertaining the thought of the Hammer bullets. I would love to hear what you came up with for load data. I have lots of RL19 so that would be a blessing as well.
Thanks

What brass does the best? I now have 2 of the 257bees and need to work loads. Choice of brass is Norma, Hornady, and Weatherby! Not sure who makes Weatherby but have had good luck with most Norma.
Hornady in the new PRC300 isn't bad but otherwise I haven't had the best luck with their brass.

Ya but based onThe fact that it's a factory rifle I would bet a large some of money that it's would not shoot the blackjack.
1/10 twist is more than likely what he has so. 115 boat tail is about as long as he can go. Plus for what he wants you can't drive it as fast meaning he has to dial up shots. Giving him a much shorter point blank range.
It is a 1/10 twist 24inch tube. The scirocco ii has a decent bc but the guys that mentioned the hammer hunter 92gr have me thinking about it. I wish i could locate the hinter g1 bc to have something to compare to.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.