257 weatherby secret sauce

Blaketh

Hey guys,
Just got the 257 Weatherby Cooper 24 inch stainless barrel in. Looking for the fastest accurate loads to use. I want to use scirocco ii's and get them as fast and accurate as possible, what powders primers etc.. to use? Going to hunt deer, hogs, maybe a bear (Tennessee area game) I dont load but my friend does and am trying to find a place to start to work a load up. I like the higher bc rounds and was going to ptobably sight it in at the maximum point blank range. Going to put a vortex amg 6-25x50 on it. was thinking about working up a 2nd round for varmints and such, maybe the 90gr blitz kings or 100 gr ballistic tips so they blow up on impact and dont pass through like a ttsx. If i were to do a all copper round would you guys recommend the ttsx or the nosler etips? Nosler looks pretty promising..i guess it sounds like i am shuffling around all over the place and want to use this puppy for everything. I am coming up from a tikka 243 that shoots the hornady varmint 58 grain shells. I am not great at ballistics and want to try to make shooting this rifle as simple as possible. I have a range finder but i dont have the data to make calculated adjustments on the scope. Maybe eventually it will be shot enough to know what or where to adjust. Maybe at the end of the day it will just shoot the scirocco ii's if i can get them to be sub moa or in my dreams half moa. Any help or guidance is appreciated and feel free to bring me back down to earth.

I'm running a 1-10 twist barrel right now and I've got a 7.5T Proof on the shelf.

Sciroccos are a great bullet. I'd also look at the 110gr Nosler Accubond- that is the .257wby bread and butter. I personally run the Berger 115 VLD @ 3350.

If you want to run a mono make sure you go light and fast-- If your buddy is gonna load for you, spend the extra money- go get the Hammer Hunter 92gr and run it up there to 3600-3700

A friend uses RL-25 with the 115 Berger and a 24" barrel.

I used RL-25 with first barrel now using RL-33 with 115s and a 27.5" barrel.

Word of advice: it might be best towork up for one bullet and not continue to try loads with other bullets. I tried quite a few bullets with my first barrel. Learned plenty but ended the life of the barrel soon thereafter. 1000 rounds or so is all you will get.

Ok this I can help with.
You sound exactly like me several years ago when I got into shooting more.
I also choose the .257 Roy. Being from Tennessee and you don't have drop chart or programs I would say you are on the right track with max point blank range.
I actually just redid my .247 for that setup this year as I don't use it for anything g longer than 500 yards.
So I run 115 nosler Bt in mine and it's been great on deer and hogs. Loaded over h1000.
Now if I was to do it all over like you get to I would load the hammer hunters at around 80gr or what they have closest.
You will get crazy speed 3700 if I guess. That would allow you to be 3" high at 100 and still be able to hold dead on at 300 and prob farther. Maybe hold top of back on deer at 400 but I'd have to run the numbers. But like others said I won't change now because all the work it took to get a great load burned up a good part of my barrel.
The hammers are about as great as you can get for a one bullet to do all. I'm building a .243 right now just to shoot those fast.
I would try h1000 or rl33.
Maybe give steve at hammer a call and see what powder he would recommend.
Plus you will save barrel life with load work. They seem to like every powder charge I've given them all shoot under .5" at 100. So just load up 10 or so rounds in a charge ladder when you first find pressure back down .5 to 1 gr and load up 5 shoot a group and you will be shocked.
Hope this helps.

How soon they forget...

.257 Weatherby loaded with the 131 grain Blackjack Bullet. You will not need to test other bullets as you can shoot this for both targets and hunting. Performance is outstanding as these bullets are amazingly accurate.

https://blackjackbullets.com/?v=7516fd43adaa

You can search the forums and there will be long threads discussing this bullet and loads for it. It does take a fast twist barrel so there is that to consider.;)

Otherwise use the standard cartridge loaded with the Hammer Hunter bullets and go shoot!:D

How soon they forget...

.257 Weatherby loaded with the 131 grain Blackjack Bullet. You will not need to test other bullets as you can shoot this for both targets and hunting. Performance is outstanding as these bullets are amazingly accurate.

https://blackjackbullets.com/?v=7516fd43adaa

You can search the forums and there will be long threads discussing this bullet and loads for it. It does take a fast twist barrel so there is that to consider.;)

Otherwise use the standard cartridge loaded with the Hammer Hunter bullets and go shoot!:D

Ya but based onThe fact that it's a factory rifle I would bet a large some of money that it's would not shoot the blackjack.
1/10 twist is more than likely what he has so. 115 boat tail is about as long as he can go. Plus for what he wants you can't drive it as fast meaning he has to dial up shots. Giving him a much shorter point blank range.

Fastest for hunting would be a 80 grain tsx at about 3850fps. The Swift is a good bullet but I got great performance with standard cup and core bullets at 3300-3400fps.the 120 btsp from Speer is a great bullet in the 257wby. Do not shot any animal in any part of them you want to eat with that cartridge!

Hey guys,
Just got the 257 Weatherby Cooper 24 inch stainless barrel in. Looking for the fastest accurate loads to use. I want to use scirocco ii's and get them as fast and accurate as possible, what powders primers etc.. to use? Going to hunt deer, hogs, maybe a bear (Tennessee area game) I dont load but my friend does and am trying to find a place to start to work a load up. I like the higher bc rounds and was going to ptobably sight it in at the maximum point blank range. Going to put a vortex amg 6-25x50 on it. was thinking about working up a 2nd round for varmints and such, maybe the 90gr blitz kings or 100 gr ballistic tips so they blow up on impact and dont pass through like a ttsx. If i were to do a all copper round would you guys recommend the ttsx or the nosler etips? Nosler looks pretty promising..i guess it sounds like i am shuffling around all over the place and want to use this puppy for everything. I am coming up from a tikka 243 that shoots the hornady varmint 58 grain shells. I am not great at ballistics and want to try to make shooting this rifle as simple as possible. I have a range finder but i dont have the data to make calculated adjustments on the scope. Maybe eventually it will be shot enough to know what or where to adjust. Maybe at the end of the day it will just shoot the scirocco ii's if i can get them to be sub moa or in my dreams half moa. Any help or guidance is appreciated and feel free to bring me back down to earth.

Check into Noslers reloading manual max load 100gr using H4831SC

I have a new mark Mark V that LOVES the 92gr Hammer Hunters and RL19. Three shot average was 3793', a SD of 1, and a quarter inch hole edge to edge.
I have no doubt it'd kill anything you stated you want to hunt. Load work up took 9 shots. I ran a ladder.

*edit*
PM me if you want load details. It was the easiest load work up up I've ever had using those Hammers!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.