.257 high B.C. bullets

Since when does anything but shot placement make any difference on this whole "bang flop" result? I don't care if you shoot them with a .22 or a 50bmg. If you shoot them in the guts they are going to run, if you shoot them in the spine/head they will fall.
I never shoot any in the spine or head....I've had several drop from heart-shots.

I never shoot any in the spine or head....I've had several drop from heart-shots.

And I shot a white tail last year straight thru the heart with a 180gr berger from my 7x300 and it ran 50 yards. I'm not blaming the bullet for not resulting in a "bang flop" when I intended to hit where I did. I shot another one with a 110 accubond from my 257 and got the "bang flop" but I shot it in front of the shoulder at the neck junction.

My point is if your going to place your shots there no bullet is going to guarantee you a "bang flop" result.

And I shot a white tail last year straight thru the heart with a 180gr berger from my 7x300 and it ran 50 yards. I'm not blaming the bullet for not resulting in a "bang flop" when I intended to hit where I did. I shot another one with a 110 accubond from my 257 and got the "bang flop" but I shot it in front of the shoulder at the neck junction.

My point is if your going to place your shots there no bullet is going to guarantee you a "bang flop" result.
Yeah, I'm well aware, but you have alot better chances with a bigger heavier bullet than a smaller lighter bullet.

I highly doubt that. I'm already shooting superior bullets to the Barnes (Berger VLD and Nosler Accubond), and I haven't seen one yet...

Maybe my experiences are flukes, but I've killed probably 30-40 animals with mine ranging from coues deer, to elk, to kudu. All but two have been with the ttsx. One coues at 572, with the vld. Double lung, lived for 32 minutes. Another coues (last year) heart shot at 405 with the 110 accubond ran 20 yards and died. Only animals I've shot and not bang flopped was a coues I hit poorly, and a double lung shot javelina. All other animals shot with the 100 ttsx pushed at 3500 by 73 grains R25 have been drt.

Maybe my experiences are flukes, but I've killed probably 30-40 animals with mine ranging from coues deer, to elk, to kudu. All but two have been with the ttsx. One coues at 572, with the vld. Double lung, lived for 32 minutes. Another coues (last year) heart shot at 405 with the 110 accubond ran 20 yards and died. Only animals I've shot and not bang flopped was a coues I hit poorly, and a double lung shot javelina. All other animals shot with the 100 ttsx pushed at 3500 by 73 grains R25 have been drt.
I've shot alot of animals with Barnes bullets, they're good bullets, but they're not LR bullets. They just don't have the BC and the weight of other bullets to reach way out there.

And honestly, with the way my Bergers performed this year, I don't ever see going back to any other brand of bullets.

I'm perfectly happy with the Berger bullets. I don't see the need to be shooting elk past 500 yards any ways with .277" bullet diameters or less. It's just too much margin for error for something to go wrong. I've taken some decent shots at elk to and so have some other people I hunt with. I still remember a 6 point bull I dropped DRT at 437 yards with a 6mm Remington shooting 105 gr. Bergers. Also had a friend who shot a cow elk with a 90 gr. Sierra MatchKing out of a .22-250 at 381 yards. I'm in no way recommending this use of extremely small diameter and match bullet use for hunting but it can be done. You just have to know your limitations and your tool's limitation. It's really a matter of how much ethical shooting skills you have and what your load out is capable of.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.