SAKO TRG 42 - .338 High B.C. Deer Bullets...........

Tiff

I'm picking up my new .338 Lapua this Monday :) and need to get some bullets.....So what are the best B.C. hunting bullets to shoot in a 1-12" twist factory Sako TRG barrel?

On this side of the pond there are only a couple of dozen people in the country who are able to use .338 Lapua on deer. As such there are no real suppliers of expanding .338 bullets, so nearly all bullets will have to be ordered:( However the bullets need to be from a large suppler (nosler, hornady etc) since our red stag season starts in 2 weeks.

If it helps I normally shoot Berger vlds, but there not ready yet in .338......

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

I don't think you will find any 250 gn or lighter with a BC above 0.6. Not from the major bullet makers. Henson the custom bullet maker in Georgia makes a 265 Al tipped with BC ~ 0.77. Don't know if a 12 twist would handle that. The only high BC 338 from a major maker right now is the 300 SMK. Think you are stuck with the 225 or 250 Accubond until Berger gets theirs out. But hey in a Lapua the Accubonds are deer killers a long ways out.

if you can get Hornady bullets, they make a 250gr match bullet with a claimed BC of .675. i tried some a while ago and they shoot very well. they also have a bigger hollow point than the Match Kings and this is one of the main things to get them to work on game. my guess is they would work wonderful on deer.

quite frankly, if you are shooting the deer with a 338 a SMK will do the job with a good hit. And I was referring to the 300 SMK with a bc of @ .7 or so. It seems to be the pre-eminent bullet for LRH in 338 (probably spelled it wrong :( )

I don't think that his 12 twist will stabalize the 300 grain SMK. The 250 SMK can be pushed close (very close) to 3200 FPS. I got 3197 with my 338 Laupa

i would say if you can't "get-r-done" with a SMK, Accubond, or a Hornady in the 250 gr version, it won't happen with a different bullet.

The 1:12 twist may not be fast enough for the long high BC bullets.
Take a look at the Nosler ABs, 225 gr has a BC of .550 and the 250 gr has a BC of .575.
Nosler uses an average for their BC, YMMV.

JD338

I didn't know Hornady did a 250grain HPBT bullet:) What are they like compared to the scenar? In other calibers I found the scenar to have to hard a jacket/core and didn't work well, passing straight through. Are the Hornady's much softer?

I have killed more feral hogs with the 250 SMK than I can even remember out of one of my AI AWM's. Now use rifles using the improved version of the Lapua but the SMK never failed once to do the job or exit---some of the porkers were in the 400lb class. In fact am using that same bullet to go elk hunting this fall in NM --going to Trinidad on Friday to pick up the rifle.

if i had to guess, i'd say every other bullet made is softer than the Lapua's. GG's testing showed them to be every bit as tuff as full metal jacket bulletsi talked with someone in the engineering dept at Hornady. they said it was a match bullet so no terminal testing had been done with them. jacket is .030 thk, and with the big hollow point, i would be very surprized if they didn't work extremely well on deer sized game.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.