257 cal 115 Berger

I went with the Elmer Keith rubber washer trick between the forearm and barrel. It's pinch in there and I moved it a 1/4" at a time until it reached its harmonic happy "sweet spot" and then just cinched it in place. I don't know how fool proof it is but I can shoot under moa with both the 115 tsx and the 115 Bergers. So I have a good close range 0 to 300 yd bullet in monometal and the long range 300 to 1000 Bergers. Point of impact is only 1 inch higher with the Barnes but windage is good. I did a cold bore shot at 200 last Saturday just to double check zero and it did this. I'm shooting the bad oem trigger and a VX R 4-12x40 Firedot scope. Nothing too fancy. She just shoots.
That is terrific! Great set-up, just seems to work really well!

I should have said what left of the animal at close range. From what I have seen the animal comes apart at close range. It you are just shooting dogs Who cares, unless hunting for skins. I wouldn't think you would fine the bullet at close ranges either.

SSS
Mike

I've shot the 25-06 for 45 years with everything from 90 PEP to 120 Partitions.......currently shooting 98 gr Hammer Hunters. It's hard to beat for whitetails in my country! May have to try the 115s at some point but pretty happy with the Hammers! They flat out kill...!

I should have said what left of the animal at close range. From what I have seen the animal comes apart at close range. It you are just shooting dogs Who cares, unless hunting for skins. I wouldn't think you would fine the bullet at close ranges either.

SSS
Mike
Yes we always shot the 120 Nosler Partition in all our 25-06's growing up. My Dad, myself and 2 brother's all shot 25-06's until mine was stolen in 2009 and then I switched to a 270 because I'm a lefty. Tikka's came along so I had to get my first left handed rifle. However, between all of us from 1985 until 2009 we killed 134 bucks, 6 bull elk, 4 bears and 44 hogs. Almost all of those animals were killed with the 120 grain Partition. A few with the 117 Hornady Interlock, 100 grain Sierra, and a few with Speer 120 grain grand slam. We figured out real quick the 87 grain and 100 grainers were really hard on meat. Blood shot bad. But not only did we find out the little quarter was a great killer, we also discovered and fell in love with the Nosler Partition. So a decade later here I am getting a Ruger No. 1 in my long lost love the 25-06. I wanted to try out something with a little higher BC so I'm trying the Berger's and I had a box of Barnes TSX left. No more 120 Partitions in my coffers. So that's my long story I wanted to share and get input from other members with the quarter bore crush. Happy shooting and thanks for the comments.

Use a 25/06 for years. Love the round. Excellence job at putting down the animals and not much damage to the meat if the bullet weigh is up somewhere 115 grains.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.