115 gr Berger VLD load for my 25-06

Korhil78

Been pulling teeth trying to find the best load with the right speed that I wanted with my 25-06. Finally tried H4831SC and found it to be the best powder that I have used for this bullet. Bullet was seated out to the lands.

DSC00951.jpg
DSC00952.jpg
DSC00953.jpg

I do believe I will be using 54 gr of H4831SC! I have not chronod it yet but I believe that it will be around 3000 to 3100. No pressure signs so that I was very pleased.

Yes, do tell. Looks like a great start. I have a 25-06 in a factory Ruger MkII that I have the same bullet for. This was a very timely find, as load development will soon be underway. This 25-06 is way under MOA with 100 grain Barnes TSX. So I am hopeful with the Nosler b-tips.

It is a Factory Rem. 700 BDL 1in 10 twist...only thing that has been changed out is the stock. I put a Hogue full length aluminum bedded stock on it.

Firecat, mine shoots those 100 tsx bullets well under MOA as well. I use 52.5 gr of RL 19 with that load though.

As I said before, I seated these all the way until it was touching the lands. Retumbo didnt work for me and RL 19 wasn't giving the accuracy or potential velocity that this load is. I will shoot it under a chrono this weekend and let you all know. This particular gun liked the max load listed but seating it out that far could have allowed me to go hotter because there were no pressure signs yet. I am going to test some 5 shot groups and let you know. I think I might just stop at 54 gr of H4831SC though if it is consistent. .272 groups are fine with me! haha.

It was kind of luck. I didn't even realize that I had any H4831SC until I found it behind some other powder so I thought that I would give it a try since it is a slower burning powder for the 25-06.

My Tikka 25-06 with the same bergers liked IMR4831. Problem was I did not have good results on game with the bergers, complete pass through with little expansion, which is very unlike my 168 bergers in my 7mm. So I switched to 110 accubond, which surprise also very much likes the IMR4831. I did just buy some H4831sc to try as our temps can get very low here in Idaho and I have a late season buck tag, so I am hoping that extreme powder works well.

I'm using 54.0gn of RL22 and BR2 primers and averaging in the upper .2's for accuracy and 3100fps for velocity. My OAL is 2.7730" and that runs right to the LaG's. JohnnyK.

JohnnyK,

Are you using a OAL gauge to get that measurement? I would imagine that you would have to be haha. That would be seated waaaay in there otherwise. I use the hornady one and my seating depth using the OAL gauge is 2.748. I have slight marks on the bullet from the rifling if I chamber one and then eject it. It is just barely kissing the lands.

That has given me the best accuracy results.

i just received load data from berger for the 115 gr vld for the 25-06. their max load for H4831sc is 54.3 grs. my savage grouped 51.5 grs of H4831sc at .5. i have a set of test loads ready to shoot. i hope to find one faster and tighter.. good shooting. Bear.

Haha....that is funny. The max load that they sent me was 53.4 gr. Maybe one of us is reading it wrong. I am on the road so I can't check it. But for my gun, the hotter I went, the tighter the groups got. Good luck to you.

that woke me up. thanks. i went back and looked at the info and mine said 54.3 grs of H4831sc for max. my e-mail is dated 5-Aug-2011.....and my rifle also shoots tighter at max loads for the other bullets i have tried... i will find out this weekend.... be safe and good shooting...Bear

Cool...I must have the numbers mixed up. I just couldnt remember since I was away from a computer. Just didn't want you to have the wrong info. Hope the groups are tight for you.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.