25 SAUM

bcraft1111

This is probably old news to you guys but I found it to be good reading.

In the Jan/Feb issue of Petersons Rifle Shooter Jon Sundra used a necked down 7mm Rem. SAUM case to .257 with only the necks having to be reduced in thickness to make it work.

He built the gun on a Prairie Gun Works action, Shaw Fluted Stainless Barrel and a Boyd,s JRS Clasic stock.

I Quote " Thus far the results have been beyond my expectations.Working primarily with various 100-grain bullets, I've achieved 3500 fps with two different powders Re 19 and Re 22." out of a 24 inch barrel.

Not Bad. It goes on to say that they built a second gun just to make sure the results were not skewed. They posted groups .875, 1., 1.2, 1.25

What velocity would be expected from this with a 26inch or better barrell. Weatherby says 3600 from a 26 inch barrel in there 257 weatherby mag.

A friend of mine considered the 25 SAUM for a while when rebarelling his 300 SAUM. After much research he decided on the 6.5 SAUM. Better bullets was the primary reason for doing this.

I can get 3400 fps easily out of my 25-06 with a 25 1/2" barrel shooting 100 grain bullets. I would expect the 25 SAUM to get closer to 3600 fps.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.