25/7mm Mag data?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by CastleRocker, Oct 13, 2009.

1. CastleRocker

CastleRocker Active Member

Hey there;

I bought a rifle for my Dad, and I need some reloading data for it. It is a 25/7mm Mag. I just need a place to start....

Thanks!

2. dirtball

dirtball Well-Known Member

3. CastleRocker

Sorry for the confusion. It is a .25-7mm mag., that's a 7mm Remington Magnum necked down to .257 caliber. It's a wildcat cartridge. It should be very accurate (with the right load), scary fast, and with the new, high BC bullets out there now, should fit my Dad's desire for a light recoiling semi-long to long range rifle for coyotes and pronghorns.

The problem is, I don't have the time to start loading/chronographing from scratch, and was hoping someone else out there had played around with this one.

Thanks!

4. 358sta

358sta Well-Known Member

Sounds very similar to Weatherby's 257 Mag. You probably don't have the Weatherby freebore in your rifle but using 257 Wthby starting loads should be a safe starting point.

5. dirtball

dirtball Well-Known Member

The 257 Weatherby and the 7mm Rem Mag both have a case capacity of 80 to 81 grains of h2o, so it you used 257 Weatherby data and reduced by 10% to start, you should be safe.
    Dave

6. CastleRocker

Thank you very much!!! I don't know why I didn't think of that...I used to have a 257 Wby! I guess I deserve a "DUH" for this question.

Thanks again!

7. OKIE2

OKIE2 Well-Known Member

the 257 wby, 7 mag and 264 is all the same case just Roy rounded the shoulder & neck points on his.