25-06 loads with Sierra Game Kings

remingtonman_25_06

I got my 25-06 yesterday and am going to start the barrel break in process tomorrow. I am going to start with a low charge of RL-22 and 117g SST. I want to shoot the 100g or 117g Sierra Game Kings for coyotes and deer out to about 600 yards with these bullets. Does anybody have any pet loads they would like to share that consist of the Sierra bullet?

The only positive experiance I have had with the GameKing bullets was with the 55gr being shot out of the 223 at deer at short range and with a moderatly slow velocity.
Other than that I've seen poor bullet performance.

Personaly I think that if you looking for a good long range deer bullet the 117gr SST and the 115 Ballistic tips are the way to go.
I've actualy worked up a great high speed load with the 85gr Nosler CT ballistic tips.

I also would reccomend something besides the game king. I have shot 3 texas hill country whitetail bucks(relatively small deer) with 150 gr. game kinds relatively slowly from a 30-06. They werefrom 50 to 150 yards and all pretty much broadside shots which were behind the shoulder in all cases but one. I never had a significant peice of the bullet exit. A couple had small holes where tiny gragments of the bullet exited but no real penetration of the bullet, and definately not an exit wound that would leave sufficient blood trail for easy recovery. In all cases there were tiny fragments of lead inside the body cavity. In my opinion a bullet that is of an appropriate weight for the hunted game that will not expand reliably AND hold together and penetrate, even at low velocities by todays standards(30-06 factory ammo out of 22" barrel) does not offer acceptable performance on big game, or anything bigger than varmints. The jacket of the game king is just too thin and had is not bonded to the core, nor does it have any type of locking ring, jacket wall or partition, or even a thick base.

You dont need a premium bullet to get good performance on deer though. Try hornady interlock bullets, SST(basically interlock but with plastic tip, or my personal choice the nosler ballistic tip. The interlock and SST both have an interior ring built into the jacket to control expansion and the ballistic tip has a jacket that gets thicker toward the thick solid base. The ballistic tip is reputably the most accurate hunting bullet in production. I have no experience with the ballistic tip 25-06, but my dad is shooting 100 gr. hornady interlock out of his sako(23 3/8" barrel) and getting well over 3300 fps and really really good accuracy with RL 22, win cases, and fed match 210 primers. Hes also working on a load with the 117 gr. SST with the same powder, primer, and i belive federal cases and it looks to be pretty accurate so far. Im trying to get him to try ballistic tips.

Hope this helps.

Well, close range shots dont usually happen in my part of the country. I got wheatfields, alfalfa fields, sagebrush. Shots under 200 yards are not really common where I particularly hunt. I think the Gameking will perform better at extended ranges past 200 yards due to some peoples experience of them somewhat blowing up. I have always stood by NBT's for deer, but I just kinda want to try something new ya know? If the Sierras dont work out for some reason, theres always the 115g NBT waiting for me!

i am using 53grains of R22 behind a 100grain SMK, and it is shooting 3/4 of an inch for 5 shots at 200 yards, bullet 23thou of the lands. out of a standard sako stainless synthetic factory rifle...

i have been shooting a lot of roe with them and you don't need to walk far to find the animals.

My custom Remington 700 shoot 100 gr Nosler ballistic tips at just over 3300 fps. 57 grains of RL-22. I've dropped mule deer at 400+ yards (Leica rangefinder) with one heartshot. They don't go down as fast as with my .308, but they don't get very far, either. I think the 100 grainers have ballistic advantages over the heavier bullets, just my $.02

I have 3 25-06's and they all like different loads, but they all shoot 100 gr. bullets the best. In the Sierra line, I prefer the flat base bullets over the boat tails. The boat tails seem to be bad about shedding their cores. My favorite is the Ballistic Tip, but one of my rifles refuses to shoot them. Oddly enough they all shoot the best with the bullet about .003 off the lands.

Here are a few suggested loads with a 100gr. bullet and a 210-M primer.

52gr. H4350
53gr. N160
55gr. H4831
56gr. RL-22

None of these are hot in my rifles, but to be on the safe side, work up from a couple of grains under.

Rem Man,

I would be very interested if you could get good accuracy out of any boat tailed bullet of 115 gr or heavier out of the 25-06.

I have witnessed literally dozens of 25-06 and 257 Wby rifles that simply would not shoot them well. When I say well, I mean consistantly under moa.

All of these rifles have turned in 1/2 moa grouping with taylored loads using the 100 gr Ballistic Tip.

One of my personal 25-06 rifles preferred load is the 100 gr B.Tip over 58.0 gr Rl-22 over a CCI-250 and it is good for 3450 fps and 3/8" groups at 100 yards.

The only 25 caliber rifle I have ever got to shoot well with the 115 gr boat tails such as the 115 gr Ballistic Tip is my 257 STW which I build between other customers jobs several months ago.

It has a #4 contoured barrel of 26.5" and is a standard sporter rifle in dimension.

Using the 115 gr Ballsitic Silvertip and loaded to 3700 fps, it will average 1/2 moa with a clean bore. The barrel on it is a lower quality barrel and it fouls badly.

I have ordered a 28" Lilja to replace that barrel and with the smoother, 3 groove rifled barrel, I expect to get the 115 gr Ballsitic Silvertips to 3800 fps pretty easily.

I feel the 25-06 really need a 1-9" twist for these bullets at the velocity range they work at. Just my opinion, but it seems to be like this alot with 25-06 rifles and tipped boattailed bullets.

Good Shooting!!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR> I feel the 25-06 really need a 1-9" twist for these bullets at the velocity range they work at. Just my opinion, but it seems to be like this alot with 25-06 rifles and tipped boattailed bullets.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree. I just completed a rather comprehensive series of tests with the heavier bullets in a 27.5" Lilja on a custom 700. Interestingly, the best performer accuracy-wise was the Sierra 117 SPBT.

My goal was a heavier LR antelope load. I've been using Sierra MKs, 100gr., which have performed well, both in terms of accuracy and terminal ballistics on the prairie goats.

I keep trying to improve on my MK load but it just ain't happenin'!

As an aside, just got my 2004 goat tags in the mail. Another great year with three tags to fill.

And what better animal exists for the LR hunter, eh?
cool.gif

Regards to all.

~Holmes

I've had success with 140 gr. Barnes XLC's. They are a little too proud of their products, but they shoot well. If you want to save money and still shoot good hunting groups, you'd be hard pressed to beat the 140 gr. Remington Core-lokt's or mid priced 140 gr. Nosler partitions.

Best of luck to you... Nighthunter

My accuracy load was 51.5 grains of IMR4831 with a 120 gr bullet. Grouped .5 to .7 inches out of a 700 ADL. I sold that rifle because it didn't have a LH action, and I was not too smart back then.

I never chronographed it, but I ate a lot of deer steak. Used Speer boattails. I took it elk hunting but on those days, the elk failed to cooperate.

Love the caliber. Great deer cartridge.

Fiftydriver-

I shot another 3 shot group the other day with the same load that shot the .043". 53g of H-4831, W-W case, CCI BR-2, 3.150". This time I had 2 shots in the same hole with the 3rd touching, opening the group to .3. Still, the average 3 shot group for this load at 100 yards is in the .2's. I cant really complain about to much except the velocity. 3035fps limits it to about a 500 yard deer getter. Oh well though, I just got a .270 WSM that I'm going to start playing with 140g SST's and MagPro.

By the way, I shot a 3 shot group at 300 yards with that 117g SBT and it measured a tad over 3 inches for 3 shots. There all evenly spaced about 1 inch apart. My question is this, how can the load group so tight at 100 yards, going from .25" to 3 inches at 300 yards? It just does not make sense. It should be grouping about 1 inch, to at the most 2 inches. I was maybe thinking my scope has something to do with it. I have a VX 2, 3-9x40 on it for now, 9x is kinda small at 300 yards in my opinion. I need to hurry up and get another 6-18x you cant shoot what you cant see. I dont know, maybe I'm missing something here? Any feedback appreciated.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.