25-06 ai or 270 ai thoughts?

jd5521

Looking to build an Ackley Improved rifle. Never had one but want one. Have a long defiance rebel just sitting and think it would be perfect to build a 25-06ai or 270ai. I won't be shooting any further than 500 yards for these rifles and am looking for thoughts and/or experiences you guys may have. I want to shoot the heavier pills out of these so either the 120's for the .257 or the 150's our of the 270. Tour thoughts and opinions are appreciated.

I hunted a long time with both a 257Weatherby and a 270 Weatherby. Just a little more of the same think. Those are the bullet weights i shot. I shot both those guns just at whitetails. Seemed like the 257 killed quicker under 400 and the 270 worked much better further. Think the higher velocity of the 257 helped up close. Both were pretty lethal. I would build the 270 on an 8 twist. Then you can shoot heavier bullets at bigger game if you want. I had a 270ai years ago, but it was a 10 twist.

I hunted a long time with both a 257Weatherby and a 270 Weatherby. Just a little more of the same think. Those are the bullet weights i shot. I shot both those guns just at whitetails. Seemed like the 257 killed quicker under 400 and the 270 worked much better further. Think the higher velocity of the 257 helped up close. Both were pretty lethal. I would build the 270 on an 8 twist. Then you can shoot heavier bullets at bigger game if you want. I had a 270ai years ago, but it was a 10 twist.
Thank you. Forgot to put in original post I already have two Bartlein barrels in .257 and .270 with 1-10 twists I would like to use.

Between the two, "I'd" go with the .270 AI with a 1:8" or faster twist for the heavies. I have a .270 AI with a 30" SS Lilja 1:8' 3G barrel built to propel the 175 Matrix VLD. My current accuracy load is 2993 FPS.

.270 AI atop the mountain.jpg

175 Matrix vs 150 NAB.jpg

(L: 150 NAB, R: 175 Matrix VLD)

Last edited:
Between the two, I'd go with the .270 AI with a 1:8" or faster twist for the heavies. I have a .270 AI with a 30" SS Lilja 1:8' 3G barrel built to propel the 175 Matrix VLD. My current accuracy load is 2993 FPS.

View attachment 167158

View attachment 167161
(L: 150 NAB, R: 175 Matrix VLD)
Feenix I've seen some posts of yours on this gun and I think it is awesome. However, I will be shooting medium sized game with this rifle. I already have two blanks I can go with in either caliber. I guess what I am asking is will the 1-10 twist barrel I have stabilize the 150 grain pills for the 270 or will it be marginal at best?

Uh...see post #3. He already has the barrels and they are 10 twist. But neat picture!
EDIT: Apparently OP snuck in a post ahead of me explaining his barrel situation (again.)
1 in 10 will stabilize the 150 grain .270 bullets fine.

Feenix I've seen some posts of yours on this gun and I think it is awesome. However, I will be shooting medium sized game with this rifle. I already have two blanks I can go with in either caliber. I guess what I am asking is will the 1-10 twist barrel I have stabilize the 150 grain pills for the 270 or will it be marginal at best?

1:10" is fine with your intended purpose but 1:8" will afford you the opportunity for the heavies "if" you decide later on to shoot the heavies and go after bigger games. You can still shoot the 150s. My recommendation is for you to ponder, what you do with it is entirely up to you. If "I" am going all out for a full custom, that's what I would do to take advantage of AI version, even if I already have a 1:10" barrel.

Uh...see post #3. He already has the barrels and they are 10 twist. But neat picture!

See my above response to the OP.

@FEENIX I really did like your picture. The difference between the 'standard' round and the AI round is surprising when put side by side like that.

I recall a thread where some guys were shooting the 170 grain Bergers through their .270 WSMs and were getting MOA accuracy thru 1:10 twist, so the additional velocity seemed to help. Makes me wonder how fast the OP could get a 170gr going in a .270AI and if that might be fast enough to work in his 1:10 twist barrel. Can always try it. But out to 500 yards, a 150 grain Accubond or Accubond LR will have plenty of BC to work great.

@FEENIX I really did like your picture. The difference between the 'standard' round and the AI round is surprising when put side by side like that.

I recall a thread where some guys were shooting the 170 grain Bergers through their .270 WSMs and were getting MOA accuracy thru 1:10 twist, so the additional velocity seemed to help. Makes me wonder how fast the OP could get a 170gr going in a .270AI and if that might be fast enough to work in his 1:10 twist barrel. Can always try it. But out to 500 yards, a 150 grain Accubond or Accubond LR will have plenty of BC to work great.

I don't dispute that, but "I" would rather have the capability to propel the heavies and don't need it, than the other way around.

Last edited:
I would say go ahead and build your rifle. 150's will shoot fine out of 10 twist and they will also kill well at 500. Bet by the time that barrel is toast there will be a better selection of both fast twist barrels and heavy bullets. You will have plenty of formed brass and components, dies, etc.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.