My budget .270 AI ...

Congrats on your hunt. Been following your build and am impressed with the possibilities for my .270 Win and those Matrix. What is the weight without the scope, and did the Beenie Cooley MB make a noticeable difference?

Hunt ready (scoped, with bipod, and 3 rounds in mag) as seen in the pix is 12 lbs. My best guess is 9-9.5 lbs without scope and bipod. The JP Beenie Cooley MB is simply amazing and makes a huge difference.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I'm digging this thread up from the grave... How did you end up doing with the AI loads? I'm thinking of building a 270AI and I've been collecting nosler 150gr long range accu bonds to shoot out of it.

I'm digging this thread up from the grave... How did you end up doing with the AI loads? I'm thinking of building a 270AI and I've been collecting nosler 150gr long range accu bonds to shoot out of it.

I settled for 58 H4831SC WW brass CC BR2 pushing the 175 Matrix at 2993 FPS. I still have the 165 Matrix and 150 LRAB to play with but haven't had a chance to explore them yet ... hopefully this year along with the Berger 170.

I just hope my barrel will stabilize the 170gr bullets. I wish I had known about the Berger 170 before ordering the barrel. I got a 1-10" 5R twist rifling assuming none of the bullet makers were going to make a bigger .277 bullet. Looking back I wish I had got at least a 1-9" and added an extra 2" to make a 28" instead of 26" barrel.

I just hope my barrel will stabilize the 170gr bullets. I wish I had known about the Berger 170 before ordering the barrel. I got a 1-10" 5R twist rifling assuming none of the bullet makers were going to make a bigger .277 bullet. Looking back I wish I had got at least a 1-9" and added an extra 2" to make a 28" instead of 26" barrel.

I monitored the 165 and 175 fairly closed in 2012. The Berger 170 was already a concept at the time; it took longer to become a reality but it is better late than never.

I will primarily be handloading the 165 and 175 Matrix VLDs and perhaps later Berger's 170 VLDs.

Also, consulted with my gunsmith, Dan Lilja, and Marshal Ambrose of Matrix before jumping into 1:8" with high hopes of other bullet manufacturers to develop .277 BC bullets.

If it is not too late for you, I'd go with the 1:8". Just ran some quick numbers for you, if you can push the 170 at 3000 FPS and alt of 3204 FT (Rapid City Regional Airport).

Good luck!

Ed

Attachments

• 1 in 10.JPG
    1 in 10.JPG
    70.7 KB · Views: 36
Thanks Ed
Unfortunately I have had the barrel blank sitting on my desk for nearly a year, so there is little I can do other than try and sell the barrel and order another one. I placed the order about 18 months ago and received the barrel about 6months later. I never really considered Matrix bullets so the only choices I knew of were the LRAB and the Berger VLD both of which were 150gr. I might see if there is any interest in the classified section for the barrel...

After the hunt yesterday, I decided to have a little fun with my oldest son visiting from Florida.

Picked a target rock at 936 yards and send some 175 Matrix VLD at 2993 FPS out of my .270 AI. I told him he's got 3 rounds to send and hit the target. Made 20 MOA (rounded up from 19.6 MOA) of elevation and 4 MOA (just a WAG; 20-25 MPH right to left) of windage correction.

The impact was ~6" high and ~6" left from point of aim on his first shot. Not too bad for first time behind the trigger ... he called it good and he's one happy camper. I too am happy for him and the rifle. gun)gun)gun)

Cheers!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.