280 Ack/284 Win/7x57 Ack/260 AI/25-06 AI

sewwhat89

Does anyone have information they could offer and/or advice on the listed calibers?

I am thinking of having Pac-Nor "build" a rifle in one of the listed calibers to use for paper plinking and hunting deer/pigs/varmints out to maximum about 600 yards. I have a 25-06, and I don't think an AI chamber would offer much more than a burning more powder than my current loads. I would also not have to worry about accidently picking up the wrong lots of brass.

The gun would have a 25-28" super match barrel with a #6-7 contour. I would focus on shooting the larger AMAX/SMK/Wildcats in the given caliber. No muzzle break needed as they would all be docile on the bags. Thanks!

Stephen

I had a 7x57AI and it got right up there in velocity with a 7mag and used appr 10grs of powder less. I'm now shooting a 284 on a rem action. Everyone had their favorite caliber and anyone of the calibers you mention plus some others would work. To me your spreading out too many bullets calibers to make a good judgement call you don't mention what action is it long or short? You gave barrel and bullets brand you want to use no bullet weight or barrel twist. I think you need to narrow it down abit when you look at 7mm bullet 280,280AI,7-08AI,7-08,7x57,7x57AI,284,
7x47imp plus others same with the 6.5 bullet good one you didn't mention was the 25 Souper. Well good luck.

Sew,

Kirby built me a 280AI and it shoots great. Honest sub .5MOA and averages somewhere in the .3-.4s. Many .25's

But I cannot say this is from the caliber. KIRBY IS AMAZING!!!!!

I am getting 3000fps from the 160gr Accubond and 58.8gr R22. I took it up to 60gr but got some pressure there. It is really the only load I tried for accuracy but I also tried the 140 Accubond and 139gr Interbond at about 3150fps.

I have had 2 other 280AI's and I absolutely love them. My fireform loads shoot well under MOA and full tilt loads are heck on deer and hogs. I do not have the longrange kills like everyone else here does though. My longerst on biggame is 400yds(the buck did a TX 2 Step and went down)

All this to say 280AI gets my vote and I am VERY PARTIAL!!!!

Notice you are in East TX...WHere? I am in Forney TX.

Kyle

sewwhat89, I recently put a pac-nor #7, 26", in 260AI on a savage action. The barrel is a 3 groove 8 twist. Also added sss trigger, recoil lug, new stock floated and bedded. I wieght sorted rem brass, cleaned up the flash hole, and put together a "genaric" load for fire forming.

139gr lapua scenar over 46gr rel 19 seated .005 into lands.
This load is very mild in my barrel and produces 2750fps.
the 2nd 3rd and forth shot went into 3/8" @ 100 yards.

I have not finished fireforming yet but am very pleased with what the rifle is showing me up to this point.

Two weeks ago I was shooting dirt clods in a picked soybean field out to 725 yards, in a stiff wind. At that distance I could spot my own shots and once windage was corected it was easy to make hits.

I chose this caliber/contour because I was looking for good performance, conservative powder usage, good barrel life, low recoil(without a brake), and quality bullet selection.

I'm not disapointed. With your statment of 600 yard max, you wouldn't be disipointed either.

Kirby narrowed it down to 6.5-06 AI and 280 AI. I like the ballistics offered by the 6.5, but there are relatively few premium hunting bullets available for that round. Swift finally released a Scirocco, 130 gr, I think. That should be a sweet performer. I just like the idea of being able to shoot bullets bigger than the 142 gr class bullets. I guess its hard to argue with a 140 gr bullet with a .55x bc.

My main concern is barrel life of the 6.5-06 AI. Load data is similar/same as 6.5-284; barrel life about 1.5k for my standards. My brother's 7RM is over 2.5k rounds and will still put 3 140 AB into 1/2 an inch at 100 yards.

Deer well past 600 yards won't be able to tell the difference between the two rounds. It seems to me that they are basically ballistic twins, but 280 AI has more bullet choices and diversity. The bullets for 280 AI are cheaper and easier to come by for me. Decisions, decisions!

btw I'm in Houston.

Sewwhat89,

Best way to figure out which to go with....

enie, menie, minie, moe!!!!

Seriously though, you could not go wrong with either choice. For deer out to 400 yards there is no better bullet then the 120 gr Ballistic tip in the 6.5. For longer range the 140 gr A-Max or 142 gr SMK will work perfectly.

Also do not forget the Wildcat Bullets, Richard offers a 142, 150, 160, 165 and 169.5 gr ULD RBBT in 6.5mm. Most of which will make offer higher BCs they your used to seeing in the big 30 and 338 caliber match bullets.

In 7mm you have the great 140 and 160 gr Accubonds which will cover anything out to 500-800 yards in the 280 AI. If you want more reach the 162 A-Max will offer slightly more BC but the 175 gr SMK and 175 gr ULD RBBT Wildcat will offer even more.

There is also the huge 200 gr ULD RBBT but I personally feel this is to much bullet for the 280 class round.

Really, take your pick, both have alot of very strong points and neither have much to complain about.

Kirby Allen(50)

Of what you mention in the topic title, and you ask for opinions:

I don't care for either the 260AI or 7X57.

Of the others, I own a 25'06AI and I do not see why it wouldn't handle what you want it to do; mine is perfectly adequate.

The 280AI is a great choice, simply because it is more powerful and therefore, more versatile; with a good selection of bullets.

But. Unless you are just into the idea of a semi-exotic chambering, there is nothing wrong with a straight 284Winchester. In a long action, you can seat heavy bullets way out there, if you plan ahead, and gain a little capacity, as well. It is a cartridge that is not in need of "improving".

Some guys always want something different, and that's understandable, but there is something to be said for a factory chambered cartridge. Me personally, I would be very hesitant in buying a used (nonstandard) cartridge, in the belief that, as with a Weatherby, it's a hot rock and probably has very little life left in the barrel. So, if resale means anything to you, get the plain vanilla 284, it can do anything the others can do.

Good hunting. LB

I have no intention of ever selling off any of my rifles. I will recycle them into new creations! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I like the semi-exotic stuff. I want something a little different but not a crazy in-depth amalgamation. I was under the impression that a true AI round, you could shoot factory ammo to fireform your brass and go from there. That was my plan at least.

Basically, I have a .25-06 that is my meat gun. There are no circumstances in East TX that I can encounter on my lease that it will not perform to perfection. It has accounted for several freezer restockings over the years. When it poops out, I want to rebarrel it to a 25-06AI, but for right now, I want to make a new "meat-gun" with a little more umph and flair. None of my hunting buddies understand my desire to spend several hundred dollars to remake a gun only to border-line abuse it. The rifle will be used in the worst conditions East TX can offer, make excursions in excess of 30 feet into pine trees and bust caps at careless piggies. I know I could save a lot of money and just use my 270 I already own for the same purpose, but that is not what I want. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I guess I still have the old timer's hang-up on the 6.5s. On paper, they almost appear too good to be true. Its not a metric thing as I love the 6 and 7mm rounds. I will have to do some "soul searching" this weekend while I am bowhunting and balance what I want with what I really can use and need. This could get interesting! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Sewwhat89,

I feel your concerns on the selection of the lack of big game bullets is really not warranted. Here is a short list of bullets I would recommend using in a round such as the 6.5-06 AI. This is on deer size game.
Nosler
120 gr Ballistic Tip
125 gr Partition
140 gr Partition

Hornady
129 gr Interlock
129 gr Super Shock Tip
140 gr A-Max
140 gr Super SHock Tip

Sierra
120 gr MK
140 gr Gameking
140 gr MK
142 gr MK

Barnes
120 gr TSX
130 gr TSX

Swift
120 gr A-Frame
140 gr A-Frame

Wildcat
more then I want to list.

From this selection of bullets you could choose one to hunt anything from pronghorns to moose easily.

Don't think the list of hunting bullets for the 6.5 is a weakness, there are plenty to do anything you would want. Plus Swift is releasing the new 130 gr Scirocco and Nosler is rumored to be working on an Accubond as well for release next year. There are many more big game bullets then most realize.

I am not saying its a "better" choice then the 280, just that bullet selection should not be the deciding factor as it is not that significant of an issue.

Just trying to make the waters a little murkier /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Sewwhat89, I'll throw in my 2 cents. If you will not hunt anything bigger than deer, anything you mentioned would work OK. But, if you plan on ever hunting elk, moose, bears, etc. sometime, then I would go with the 280AI. Had one and not only are they shooters as Kirby said, but high end bullet selection makes it a big game caliber. Basically , a 7 Mag on a smaller, more efficient cast. And yes, you can fireform with factory ammo. But I would suggest using Win 270 brass. The web is designed for higher pressures than the 280 cases. You can milk out a little more velocity. Of course, if you want to go crazy, I have a few steelheads left over in 280. Try and stick the web on those!! Goos luck. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.