243 AI

I've just got mine from the builder yesterday.
27" Lilja, 8tw. I'm pretty excited!
Question: Is the bolt going to take some effort to close on a parent case? Is that an Ackley thing?

I've just got mine from the builder yesterday.
27" Lilja, 8tw. I'm pretty excited!
Question: Is the bolt going to take some effort to close on a parent case? Is that an Ackley thing?
Mostly depends on the reamer used and the quality of the job.
Yes usually it is a crush fit of sorts. Allows you to use regular 243 win ammo without having to seat bullets long to keep them in place while fire forming

Yes, crush fit for initial fire forming. Should excessive effort to close bolt be needed or bolt unable to close o new brass a shell holder can be ground down to increase F/L sizing to enable rounds to be chambered. I have a 6mm AI that needed more than usual F/L sizing to accept new brass, so I ground down the top of a shell holder to squash brass more & keep in that shell holder in the 6mm AI die box. Everything has worked out fine for the last 500 rounds or so.

The Ackley Ackerly type cartridges are worthy & provide small to moderate case capacity increase but reduce case stretching and possibly throat erosion.

Last edited:
I built a wildcat Ackley in honor of Mr. PO Ackley. The case is only 1.250" using 13gr of powder pushing a 40gr bullet over 3250fps and could probably get more. After 10 loadings the 1 case is 1.26" but most have only grown from 1.253-1.256". Some of that was shooting some pretty hot loads with other powder so may explain some of the growth. That's my main love of the Ackley's. By the way I have shot it out to 560yds but really drops off after 400. Accurate as hell though like most Ackley's.

I have run my little Ackley, 223AI, 22-250AI, 243AI and my next will be 7mm-08AI. Then a faster twist 243AI.

1689131645563.png

I built a 6 mm Dasher 28" 7.5 twist Bartlein. I use 108 VLD Bergers with an accuracy load like many others, (haven't tried the elete hunter), for nice groups. For high velocity the 107 will go 3133 fps, 110 SMK 3085 fps standard load, and 115 DTAC 3020 fps
Or varmint bullets 58 gr to 4100 fps. The 70 gr Nosler to 3700 fps. So the little 6 Dasher ain't bad for covering the zippy stuff plus has great accuracy, for targets in the 3000 fps area. And it has become one of my favorites. Some really like the 6 Creedmoor too. The Ackley 243 has alot of powder capacity, coupled with a long barrel it should be fast, it been around along time and new powders may improve velocities even more... yours is shooting great, have fun.