236gr .338 Hammer Hunter expansion test

I'm not an engineer or a metallurgist but it looks more like the actual copper that the bullet was made from caused what I see. The process for extruding copper is not perfect and it could have just been a flaw in that particular piece of copper.

Tagging in to see more results. I thought the Hammers were suppose to shed the petals, then the front becomes flat not pointed. Or is that with the Sledge Hammer?

The images posted of the phone book and the jug show a central hole with 5 holes circled around it. How did three sheared off petals make 5 holes in a near perfect circle around the core hole?

I'm wondering if pulling the first phone book would change the pedal shear shape, let it open more normal then hit something hard shearing the pedals instead of tearing them out.
Still gotta like the starburst pattern in the jugs, looks like an elks lungs and exit side hide!

I'm not an engineer or a metallurgist but it looks more like the actual copper that the bullet was made from caused what I see. The process for extruding copper is not perfect and it could have just been a flaw in that particular piece of copper.
I think you are correct. We are going to see if we can duplicate the test. Copper variation is quite frustrating since it is out of our control. We get the certifications showing that it meets our specifications beyond that there is nothing we can do. Well have to have another discussion with our supplier.

I think you are correct. We are going to see if we can duplicate the test. Copper variation is quite frustrating since it is out of our control. We get the certifications showing that it meets our specifications beyond that there is nothing we can do. Well have to have another discussion with our supplier.
I appreciate the OP posting the test, I think the bullet did a fine job. I know he was trying to share that experience. However, I know that one bullet isn't conclusive (not saying the OP was trying to portray it in that manner). I also appreciate you (Steve) wanting to try and run more tests, as you want your bullets "perfect" (at least perfectly as designed). I like BnG's idea of trying it in a different circumstance, test it's consistency in a variety of settings (including velocity as per the OP).

I appreciate the OP posting the test, I think the bullet did a fine job. I know he was trying to share that experience. However, I know that one bullet isn't conclusive (not saying the OP was trying to portray it in that manner). I also appreciate you (Steve) wanting to try and run more tests, as you want your bullets "perfect" (at least perfectly as designed). I like BnG's idea of trying it in a different circumstance, test it's consistency in a variety of settings (including velocity as per the OP).
Higher vel is never a problem. We only saw this type of deformation in low vel impacts when we tested different alloys of copper. The most common copper used for turned bullets shows this kind of performance.

It is correct that this is not a terrible performance. I get a bit excitable after all the work that we did to make that go away.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts