.338 300gr expansion tests

Why would you think that a bullet would be less likely to expand up close where the velocity is higher?

Pointed bullets that do not expand are notoriously famous for turning of course and or tumbling. The " so called "pencil through" theory doesn't hold water

While it is a rare case, the pencil through "Theory" holds plenty of water. I have personally witnessed this happen on 3 different hunting occasions, and 2 of those me being the shooter. The bullet penciled through, killing another deer standing behind the intended target. In all 3 cases it was a well placed shot behind the shoulder, taking out both lungs. On all of the first targets the entrance and exit wounds were the same size, along with entrance wound of the second animal.

The rounds shot were:

25-06 - 120 gr SGK - 2650fps
257 Roberts - 100 gr BT - 2940fps
300 WM - 165 gr BT - 3180fps

and all were at less than 100 Yds.

While it is a rare case, the pencil through "Theory" holds plenty of water. I have personally witnessed this happen on 3 different hunting occasions, and 2 of those me being the shooter. The bullet penciled through, killing another deer standing behind the intended target. In all 3 cases it was a well placed shot behind the shoulder, taking out both lungs. On all of the first targets the entrance and exit wounds were the same size, along with entrance wound of the second animal.

The rounds shot were:

25-06 - 120 gr SGK - 2650fps
257 Roberts - 100 gr BT - 2940fps
300 WM - 165 gr BT - 3180fps

and all were at less than 100 Yds.
What did the lungs of the first deer look like? Just wondering if there was a bullet diameter whole the entire way through the first deer, or if the lungs took some damage.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts