223/5.56 ammo recommendations

There was a post on here a while ago and the fella there said that the heavy Barnes bullet in a AR 223/5.56 would just go through a hog or deer and not expand much. Because of that he lost a few animals and went back to the 55 gr. TTSX. Personally I don't have any experience with Barnes bullets but I thought I'd pass this along.

If you are going to develop a load go lead free since you know what's coming. Also, you can use that load in the remainder of the State.

Good luck

Jerry

If you are going to develop a load go lead free since you know what's coming. Also, you can use that load in the remainder of the State.

Good luck

Jerry

Bingo, like lead free it would be cutting edge raptor 55gr, followed by Barnes 55 gr.
I used to be swinging of of the Barnes sac myself till I tried the raptors now that's my go to. You get lead like explosion and Barnes penetration with a single bullet. I have done a great amount of testing with the .223 and 300blk with these and they work as advertised. Ps I have nothing to do with CEB just found the product that has surpassed my other loads. Good luck.

I don't see a 55gr offering on their web site. 45gr and 60gr.

$1.10 per bullet. Definitely not plinkers or varmint bullets.

They are under the flat based raptor. And yes very pricey I only use them for hunting where performance is more important than price. Lucky he accuracy is easy to find on them two. Usually one ladder.

Thanks, I see it there now. I re-read your Posts and I see you expressed a slight preference for the 60gr Nosler Partition. Since I don't need copper bullets, and the Nosler Partition is a little easier to find and less expensive, I might as well use the Nosler Partitions.

Trying to find a bullet that might stop a bear in an emergency. Not to hunt bear, but should one hunt me while I happen to be carrying my AR-15. There are bears wherever I step outside in the areas of Alaska I've hunted.

I've always had best luck with the noslers in .223. They are an amazing bullet in all calibers just not great bcs. That is what I would use if I was you. Without a question.

I have tried the Barnes 62 gr they work very well.
Here is my list in order if I need mom I go down this list till I find one and all have worked well just some better than others and this is the order I feel from best

Federal ammo loaded with 62gr partition
Anything loaded with Barnes
Federal fusion

If you are hand loading then the cutting edge raptor will be right up but I feel just below the partition

+1 on the federal fusion 62 grainers.

I took the CA DFG hog hunting class and shot placement was emphasized. I was told 223 is fine,
ear hole back = human forearm sized brain-spinal column target is good. The heart is between the front elbows on a hog (bottom of the chest) and the lungs are only slightly behind and above that. They are not built like deer and shoulder shots are not advised for a clean kill. Smaller sow's (<~125#'s) are better eating than big boars. Pretty much all the bullet suggestions here sound very reasonable.

Hope this helps, I am just trying to repeat what professional hog hunters told me.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.