223/5.56 ammo recommendations

The Trinity Kid

Hey y'all.

Here in the next month or two, I'm most likely going to be doing some hog hunting and all I really have is my optically-naked AR. So what I'm looking for is some 223/5.56 ammo that's heavy for caliber that is likely to kill a boar before the oinker gets me. I have a 1-7 twist, so stabilization shouldn't be much of an issue.

Around here, hogs aren't big, typically only 30-50 pounds, but they're mean. I've heard stories of hogs chasing pet dogs right through a house, or killing house cats. I don't know a lot about hogs, but I don't remember hearing stuff like that anywhere else.

So my thoughts had been things like Winchester Razorback, Remington hog hammer, etc. I'll also have a 9mm with 147grain gold dots, and my buddy backing me up with a 12ga. But I'd rather it didn't come to that. So, suggestions, Go!

--TK

howdy tk,
can't help you much on the 223 ammo, but i will share an experience a guy here named packrat had. story goes he was hunting hogs with a 223 and 9 milli. he emptied 20 rounds into the charging devil and then pulled out the pistola... only to have the oinker shove it up his rear. therefore, i'd suggest filing the front sight completely off for easier removal. that was packrat's excuse for never having his removed, but i have my suspicions about him.
good luck
dj

Best one I've found is federal loaded nosler partitions. 62 gr I believe. Followed be the two you mentioned. But have never had a problem dropping a hog with the partitions. I've killed more hogs with that round than any other

What part of the country will you hunt?

I've used the Hog Hammer a few times to kill a small sow and to wound and never find a large sow. The large sow was my fault as I hit her too far back and missed the vitals. The hogs around here can get pretty big, so I use at least a .308, but .223's can definitely drop hogs.

I think shot placement is more important than the type of bullet used.

I go for head and shoulder shots. Tracking a ****ed off and wounded hog can get dangerous so I prefer not to have to track! :)

I'll be hunting the far north Sacramento valley in California. The area between Redding and Red Bluff, mostly.

--TK

What part of the country will you hunt?

I've used the Hog Hammer a few times to kill a small sow and to wound and never find a large sow. The large sow was my fault as I hit her too far back and missed the vitals. The hogs around here can get pretty big, so I use at least a .308, but .223's can definitely drop hogs.

I think shot placement is more important than the type of bullet used.

I go for head and shoulder shots. Tracking a ****ed off and wounded hog can get dangerous so I prefer not to have to track! :)

I tell everyone shot placement is just like bullet selection. Screw up either and it's a wounded pig.

I have heard the Barnes 55 gr. or 62 gr. TTSX bullet is what you would want to use for hogs or deer, some say its the hammer. Personally, I like Sierra 65gr. Game King bullets.

I have tried the Barnes 62 gr they work very well.
Here is my list in order if I need mom I go down this list till I find one and all have worked well just some better than others and this is the order I feel from best

Federal ammo loaded with 62gr partition
Anything loaded with Barnes
Federal fusion

If you are hand loading then the cutting edge raptor will be right up but I feel just below the partition

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.