5.56 hog ammo

spitstickler

Ive got an assortment of larger calibers but I'm considering taking my ar this weekend on a hog hunt. I know shot placement is going to be the key thing, but what are your recommendations for ammo? I've got 55grn fmj on hand as well as 60grn nosler partition, 60grn vmax, and 68grn hollow points. If none of these fit the bill I'll gladly go pick something else up on the way out.

Ive got an assortment of larger calibers but I'm considering taking my ar this weekend on a hog hunt. I know shot placement is going to be the key thing, but what are your recommendations for ammo? I've got 55grn fmj on hand as well as 60grn nosler partition, 60grn vmax, and 68grn hollow points. If none of these fit the bill I'll gladly go pick something else up on the way out.

Out of what you have I'd say the partition. As you say placement is the key, as I have a friend that shoots them with a 17HMR as thats all he is allowed to carry outside of normal hunting season (no centerfire).

Thanks for the feedback. I bought the partition (black hills) a few months ago with this in mind. I'll give it a try. The Extreme Shock looks like good stuff, I will have to order some of that if Cabela's doesn't have it on hand.

I have literally killed more than I can remember with the 55fmj at close range out of my SR15. Just hit them low behind the shoulder and the will only be able to run a very short distance before the lungs fill with blood and they go down. When possible I try and double tap them. At ranges over 100 yards IMHO the larger calibers are more desirable.

Well, it didn't matter. Lots of rutting, but nothing too fresh and not a hog to be seen Sunday afternoon through dusk Monday for me. One of our bunch saw a group of 10 or so this evening, but too far to take a shot with the rifle he was toting and it was too close to dark to try to get in closer.

Good info Hoss Boss. Looks like we're practically neighbors!:) I'm in Flower Mound. This weekend I was south of Athens over in the edge of the piney woods. Most shots would be under 100 yards. Ironic to be looking for this info on longrangehunting.com, I guess.

Last edited:
spitstickler, I settled on the 62gr SS109, IMI or Brit. I haven't found any U.S. M855. They exit and blow lungs, guts, etc out the exit hole. If you want to drop them where they are, a head shot does it, or centerpunch the shoulder. It will take out their front wheels and vitals too. The longest shot I've made so far is 140 yds behind the shoulder. Had to do a coup de grace, but the hog was down and couldn't get up. I haven't killed anything over about 100-125 lbs with the AR, but would take on a big hog with it and just hammer down on him. I figure if they leak bad enough, they'll go down.

I've tried a FN and M1A, but the AR gives faster follow-up shots on a bunch of hogs that are going nuts. If you use a scope, stay under 4 power. Otherwise you may not be able to see more than one at a time when they scatter.

Small world. I've got family in Double Oaks.

Have fun, Tom

A bullet in the ear with a 22lr will do the job.
I would use the fmj and only take broadside head shots.

The only .223 I own is a SR15 M4 that is used for hogs---have killed truckloads with the PMC 55gr fmj. Bought a case of it years ago and it shoots lights out in the little gun better that the FGM stuff.

If you really care about recovering them then the SS109 might be the ticket but in my case when I use the SR the hogs are usually short range 50 to 60 yards or less.

If you put a round low and behind the shoulder it will kill it in short order. When I use that rifle it is usually catching them in a tank or brush and the object is just to kill as many as possible before they run off. My best is 6 at one time so far.

I use 75g swift sciroccos with great results. Every one I have shot so far has dropped in its tracks, even the 150+ pound boars.

Well, finally got back out and the partitions work. Dropped a 200lb-ish boar on Thursday with a shot behind the shoulder...No exit. He ran a little bit, but not very far.

boar.jpg

Last edited:
did you recover the bullet? I'd love to see what it looked like. I shoot a lot of hogs with handloaded 53gr TSX. I haven't had any luck getting them to stay in one.

Didn't cut him open, but it would have been interesting to see how the bullet ended up. He was quartering away so I imagine it ended up in his opposite shoulder somewhere.

If he'd been a sow or a smaller boar he would have ended up on the dinner table. I've read that there are some folks who don't mind eating a bigger boar, but most people I know don't care for it.

Interesting bullet link with the tsx and the partition: Shooting Illustrated's Guns and Hunting.com

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.