22 cal 77gr sierra matchking for deer?

I tried the .223 for awhile and found that no matter what, while the shot would be fatal it would take about 75 to 100 yards before the deer would realize it was dead. These shots were at less than 100 yards using Nosler Partitions. I do not recommend the .223 for deer hunting and especially not over 100 yards. In addition I do not recommend, nor is it legal to shoot deer with any non expanding type bullets here in Wisconsin. Note this is my recommendation based on MY experience hunting deer with the .223. Other opinions are bound to vary.
I agree that the match king isn't known for expansion. Depending on the game warden and the judge if anyone was caught using them it may be a bad choice of bullet. It do say on Sierra's website they do not recommend them for hunting

I hunted with a 22-250 for 2 years. I shot a few sika deer and quite a few whitetails with a 65 grain Sierra Gameking. It was a crapshoot as to how far they ran. Some dropped within a few yards and some ran hundreds of yards that weren't found......until a couple of days later, because of the lack of blood to trail. I got off that 22 caliber boat because of it. Since you have a 22BR, I'd almost bet you have a 6BR. I personally would use that instead, with 95 grain bullets. I happen to like Ballistic tips or VLD hunting.

Should I be forced to shoot deers with a .224 caliber, it would be a minimum of a .22-250 & Barnes 62 or 70 TX bullets and not to exceed 300 yards, better yet 200. After all that, I would be real careful how I placed the shot. In some states a minimum of 6mm's for deers.

People are still too stuck on cartridge when it is not terribly useful. It is only a means of holding powder, and therefore for terminal performance only a variable, though large, in velocity.

Bullet and Velocity

That's what matters. 223 threads are the worst for this. Can you imagine if a 215 berger thread was just full of people talking about 180 interlocks? Would we think that was very relevant?

They work for pigs. My 5yo son is waiting for one and loaded with 77TMKs as I type this. Wish I could direct attach the picture I just took.

Figured it out

20221021_183535.jpg

No joy tonight. Lots of excitement though. His first live opportunity and pig fever got him good. Clean miss.

More target practice is in order, but convincing him that it's no different than shooting dots is going to be impossible now.

Back to the bullets, if you can get your hands on some 77TMKs, they perform wonderfully. I hear that SMKs are less reliable, but I have never used them.

No joy tonight. Lots of excitement though. His first live opportunity and pig fever got him good. Clean miss.

More target practice is in order, but convincing him that it's no different than shooting dots is going to be impossible now.

Back to the bullets, if you can get your hands on some 77TMKs, they perform wonderfully. I hear that SMKs are less reliable, but I have never used them.

Good luck to the hunter.

TMKs are not the SMKs of old, and you are right, they perform well on soft targets.

I have killed deer with everything from 223 up to 338 WM and a handful with 50 & 54 cal Muzzleloaders. Put the bullet where it needs to go and they'll die. I will say the larger/higher energy calibers do give a larger room for error.

As far as deer running after the shot, unless you're taking out the CNS, they're most likely going to run. My son shot a doe two weeks ago during the WI youth hunt directly thru the heart with a 16" 308 (literally a hole thru the middle of the heart) and she went over 50 yards. I've had a lot of heart shot deer make it 100 yards.

I can honestly say that every deer I've killed with my 223's and 22-250 have been some of the quickest kills I've witnessed. But I'm also careful on shot placement with the little bullets.
Exactly deer have been harvested with 22 LR 36, 40 GR HP (poachers choice). Shot placement is the key. And distance. It appears to be a big problem in PA as of lately. A lot of poaching. And some are youth with hunting license. I have not seen many getting caught around me personally, lately. But we had a Game Warden die over it a while back. Caught a felon poaching deer. Game Wardens have been setting traps for the poachers.
https://thebaynet.com/poachers-lose-licenses-for-shooting-fake-deer-html/

Last edited: