22 cal 77gr sierra matchking for deer?

SD264WM

Has anyone tried this bullet on whitetail does? Thinking about running thru my 22BR at about 2900fps. 200-400 yards

I had a buddy who's daughter had a youth mule deer doe tag. She was going to be shooting a .223, so I gave him 100 of my 69SMK loads,and they shot great in his rifle.
Come hunting season, she dumped a 130# doe at 120 yards, 1 and done. The 77s should work just fine.

I've read the tmks expand more reliably, but they are impossible to find lately. Interested In Your results. Been really considering trying berger 77 also

Has anyone tried this bullet on whitetail does? Thinking about running thru my 22BR at about 2900fps. 200-400 yards
I tried the .223 for awhile and found that no matter what, while the shot would be fatal it would take about 75 to 100 yards before the deer would realize it was dead. These shots were at less than 100 yards using Nosler Partitions. I do not recommend the .223 for deer hunting and especially not over 100 yards. In addition I do not recommend, nor is it legal to shoot deer with any non expanding type bullets here in Wisconsin. Note this is my recommendation based on MY experience hunting deer with the .223. Other opinions are bound to vary.

I have killed deer with everything from 223 up to 338 WM and a handful with 50 & 54 cal Muzzleloaders. Put the bullet where it needs to go and they'll die. I will say the larger/higher energy calibers do give a larger room for error.

As far as deer running after the shot, unless you're taking out the CNS, they're most likely going to run. My son shot a doe two weeks ago during the WI youth hunt directly thru the heart with a 16" 308 (literally a hole thru the middle of the heart) and she went over 50 yards. I've had a lot of heart shot deer make it 100 yards.

I can honestly say that every deer I've killed with my 223's and 22-250 have been some of the quickest kills I've witnessed. But I'm also careful on shot placement with the little bullets.

Last edited:
Another vote for the TMK. Only one deer for me so far with it, my daughter killed her first deer this year with it at 250, and tissue damage was impressive. Pass through, 3-4" wound channel that if you told me it came from any .308 or Creedmoor sized cartridge I would believe it.

Full disclosure, the deer did run further than I expected when hit, and I was surprised at how much tissue damage I found given the long-ish (200+ yard) run. The shot was about 2-3" behind the crease, so back half of the lungs but it stayed well in front of the diaphragm.

Lots and lots of great reports on that rokslide thread. People reporting solid results anywhere from sub 1800fps impacts all the way up to .22 Creedmoor velocity, so I think that BR should be a sweetheart with that bullet! 400 might be further than I would be confident at .223 MV's, but a 200-300 fps bump should get you there.

I've seen lots of mixed results from the non tipped SMK. Some great great performance, but seems far less consistent and reliable terminal performance.

Shot an antelope buck about 10 years ago with a 77 gr Nosler CC out of my retired 20 inch match barrel from about 100 yards. Animal was feeding and just stopped chewing at the shot. Just stood there so shot it again and it didn't react to the second shot. Was getting ready to shoot it again and it fell over dead. Neither bullet exited. Briefly looked for the bullets but the heart and lungs were shredded.
94F584BB-65CE-4F10-B493-7D5BA8287915.jpeg

I tried the .223 for awhile and found that no matter what, while the shot would be fatal it would take about 75 to 100 yards before the deer would realize it was dead. These shots were at less than 100 yards using Nosler Partitions. I do not recommend the .223 for deer hunting and especially not over 100 yards. In addition I do not recommend, nor is it legal to shoot deer with any non expanding type bullets here in Wisconsin. Note this is my recommendation based on MY experience hunting deer with the .223. Other opinions are bound to vary.
A 77 SMK is definitely a BTHP bullet, and expands very well.