208 Grain A-max

north of 53

I live in Canada on the prairies and shoot 5 or 6
I was was wondering if anyone has done anything with the 208 gr Hornady A-Max. Hornady say the BC is .640 and I am shooting a 300rum and thought they might be worth a try but even Hornady has no loading data on them. Could anyone help. I have been using Reloader 25 and retumbo with other 300 rum loads and would like to stay with those powders id possible.
I thank you in advance for any help anyone could give me.

using them in my 300wm.imr 7828 shoots them the best.the case capacity of the rum the powders you listed should work fine in my opinion.use data for 200 grain bullets.just back off the max charge some to start and see where your pressures are.jason

a mamber here eddybo , had a 30-06 Ackly built just to shoot that bullet , I think hes played with it enough to find out how accurate that listed BC is. If it is .640 that would make an awsome long range (1000+yd) deer and varmint bullet.

Using .648 works out to 800 yards at low (2850 fps) velocity. Havent had a chance to stretch it out any further.

a mamber here eddybo , had a 30-06 Ackly built just to shoot that bullet , I think hes played with it enough to find out how accurate that listed BC is. If it is .640 that would make an awsome long range (1000+yd) deer and varmint bullet.

We developed a load with these in my Brothers 7.82 Warbird, velocity was just over 3200 fps if I remember correctly. Shot very well in his Sako, used the listed BC and it was plenty close to smack water filled milk jugs out to 800 yards with a 100 yard point of impact check.

I have just started testing them in my 300 AX. First load tested was with 112.0 gr H-US869 and they averaged just under 3400 fps with a very comfortable load. Only have been out to the range once with this rifle and the shooting conditions were terrible but they still shot in the .5"s with very gusty winds.

Also, that load was also seated well off the lands as I was testing my Raptor receiver for function feeding out of an HS Precision DM system. They were jumping nearly 50 thou to the lands and still printed respectable groups. I suspect that in calm conditions they will shoot WELL under 1/2 moa and if they do that at 100 yards, I would be very suprised if they did not shoot this well or better at longer ranges. Will test soon.

Good bullet, pretty thin jacketed, I would like to see the jacket beefed up a bit for use with the larger magnums but for hunting game up to deer, it should work well.

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.