300 RUM/208 Grain A-Max Question

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Michael J. Spangler, Jul 14, 2010.

1. Michael J. Spangler

Michael J. Spangler Well-Known Member

Hey guys,

i just picked up some 208 a max bullets and wanted to know if anyone had suggestions on how far these like to be loaded off the lands? I know there are some good articles on berger vlds, and i was wondering if anyone had some similar info or advice for these bullets?

i want to figure out a nice load before i burn the barrel gun)

thanks guys

2. ICANHITHIMMAN

ICANHITHIMMAN Well-Known Member

I have always loaded them long to get more powder in there. For me they have been more sensitive to charge weight and primers than seating depth.

3. ZSteinle

ZSteinle Well-Known Member

my 208's liked 5 thous. off the lands in my 300WSM

4. Michael J. Spangler

Michael J. Spangler Well-Known Member

alright, so right now i just finished measuring with my hornady gauge, i came up with a consistent measurement with a tiny hardly noticeable little bit of sticking in the lands at 3.115"

i'm going to try to back it off and make a few test rounds rounds every .010" to see where the sweet spot is.

so should i be working the seating depth or the powder charge first? i would imagine figuring one before the other would have its benefits.

thanks again guys

i'm interested in seeing how these shoot from different depths, all the way to a magazine length seating depth. right now at about .020 short of my measurement they're way too long for the magazine.