.204 Barrel life

4ked Horn

My friends neighbor just bought a Rem 700, thumbhole stock, stainless in .204 ruger. I was wondering what sort of barrel life he would get before he started losing the ability to hit prarie dogs at distances in the 500 yard neighborhood.

It all depends on how he treats it and takes care of it. I have seen several "barrel burning" 220 Swifts with over 2000 rounds and they still shot. So an estimated guess would be in the 1500- 2500 range....but that all depends on how hot he gets it, etc....

Hey chris I haven't heard from you in a while. I'm glad you responded to me.

I briefly explained to the owner of the rifle about barrel break in and the reasons for more throat erosion with some cartridges than with others. I told him to take his time while shooting and to clean the gun on a regular basis. I told him that I thought 1500 rounds would be the place he should start watching for decreased accuracy. I'm glad your answer was in the same neighborhood.

I cant wait to get him out to the desert this spring for some gong ringing. I know that if I can hit my 1 foot gong at 600 yards with my (freakishly accurate) mini 14 he should be able to as well. I don't think he has ever shot that far at anything. It should be fun.

Again, it was good to hear from you once more.

BTW are you working on any interesting projects? It seems that Kirby and Shawn are getting all the press with the Allen mags and the .338 Edge. I know you have to have some hot shot gun on the cooker. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Been really busy building customer rifles and moving into the new shop, so I am afraid I don't have much time to play with projects of my own or post here....

We'll keep a light in the window for ya. When the new shop is set up throw us a few pictures of it.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.