2 part question

lefty15

My buddy and I both want to get range finders, and also spotting scopes.
We both have a $400.00 limit each, so $800.00 for the set.
What would you guys recommend for this price range?

Don't know anything about spotting scopes but as for range finders, I would look strongly at Nikon 1200. It has ranging ability fairly comparable to Leica but the glass isn't nearly as bright. I have heard good things about Newcon's 2000 yard one too. If you would like to go used, try a Leica LRF 1200, on ebay.

I have a Nikon XL-II 16X48 spotter and it serves me well even at both ends of the day.

I also use a Leica 1200 Scan LRF. It serves me well also. I especially like the aiming square which is small and accurate and about the right size for aiming through trees etc. You don't want a range finder that ranges the whole hill instead of the chuck or deer that's going to be your target.

The secret to extending the use of the LRF is development of a good range chart when the light is right for use when the sun messes up the LRF's ranging ability.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts