2009 SHOT Show report Part 1

I emailed Sightron CS to find out for certain:

John:
Please contact Bill Ackerman at Optical Services Inc 575-589-3833. He actually makes our benchrest dot reticle. Please contact Bill for reticle variations and cost.

Thank you,
Eden

John,

Thanks for the followup. If I call Bill Ackerman, I'll post any further pertinent information. Like I said, I've got a Sightron SIII w/Mil-Dot reticle on the way. Although I think it will serve me fine, I'm still interested in learning if there are any customized reticle options available - and at what cost. Of the factory options, I wanted the Mil-Dot.

I'm torn between the Sightron SIII 6-24x50 and the SII Big Sky 4.5-14x44 both in mil-dot. I'll be using the scope mostly for big game. The price of the Big Sky with the $50 rebate makes it very tempting. On the other hand I've heard really great things about the SIII.

Can anyone comment on comparison between these two for a good long range optic?

I'm torn between the Sightron SIII 6-24x50 and the SII Big Sky 4.5-14x44 both in mil-dot. I'll be using the scope mostly for big game. The price of the Big Sky with the $50 rebate makes it very tempting. On the other hand I've heard really great things about the SIII.

Can anyone comment on comparison between these two for a good long range optic?

The SIII will be better for long range, but the Big Sky will be better for hunting. The Big Sky has 80 MOA of travel, it's shorter, lighter, and has better FOV at low power. It has a 1-inch tube.

The SIII will give you a better long range sight picture, and more reticle travel, but it's intended more for target/comps. You could use it for hunting, if you don't mind the extra size/weight. 30mm tube, 100MOA travel, more $$

Thanks Scott.

Can you comment on the optical clarity comparison between the SIII and Big Sky? I've seen that others have compared the SIII favorably to scopes like Nightforce and others in that category. How would you say the Big Sky stacks up?

Thanks Scott.

Can you comment on the optical clarity comparison between the SIII and Big Sky? I've seen that others have compared the SIII favorably to scopes like Nightforce and others in that category. How would you say the Big Sky stacks up?

The Big sky has similar internals, but the SIII has a different objective lens spec and assembly, which results in better color management and resolution. The SII Big Sky will be similar to NXS in execution. The SIII is better.

Scott

Did anyone see the new Leica Televid spotters ? If so your thoughts ?

DUH

Just saw the new Leica 82mm Televid APO W/25x50 zoom eye piece listed on-line $3999.95
FOUR THOUSAND DOLLARS ..........ARE YOU KIDDING ME !!!!!!!!!!!! Leica must have lost what little GOD given good sense they had if they think the AMERICAN market will pay this price (in this economic climate) unless there is some ground breaking new technology that really sets them apart (other than greed and arrogance).
Has anyone looked through one yet.....outdoors ?????
UB

i talked with Bill Ackerman a few days ago, specifically about getting dots put in a 4-16 Big Sky. he said he could do that. 110 for the first and 10 each for extras. he needs to know the moa between each, turn around was about 4-5 weeks.

T K Lee wouldn't work on this scope, he'll only work on a scope if it has set screws holding the reticle in place. my Sightron has a locking ring for this purpose.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.