1st MOAG chuck hunt pics

goodgrouper

Well, the boys and I set out for a chuck hunt this past weekend with the MOAG and various other long range boom sticks and we had 3 goals in mind. First was for everyone to have a great time. I believe that was accomplished. Second goal was to get a few guys into the VHA 500 yard club. Mission accomplished. And third was for Brian B and I to get into the 2000 yard club. We failed at that, but it wasn't a complete failure as I set a new personal record on a live target of 1,877 yards! I was kind of disappointed at first that I fell short of my goal by only 123 yards, but then I realized that is still a hell of a long way, and it beats my previous record of 1508 quite handily.

But what was even more impressive to us that day was how well the MOAG was shooting. Nearly everyone got to shoot at least a couple shots through it and we all had unbelievable groups going at that long range. I believe that we would have had at least 15-20 shots that would have hit my 15" gong easily. Everyone that shot it missed a 2k chuck by only several inches multiple times! At one point, Brian had about a 5 inch 4 shot group going!! He even shook a rock out from under a chuck at about 2300 yards!

The reason the MOAG did so well was because of near perfect conditions. Warm air with no noticeable thermals, no wind, and little mirage made for great views of the target. We also measured all bearing surfaces of the MK's with Bill Shehane's bs dial tool ($275 bucks and well worth it for this insane distance).

7mmrhb and my friend Dave (new vha member as of Saturday) also got into some action on several 500 yard chucks. Both qualified for the club! Congrats guys!

I also got to try out my new 6mm br dasher (tejas) on a 515 and a 790 yard chuck. The 105 Amax at 2950 fps exploded chuck in fine fashion. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif This gun shot 14 different loads in load development with sd's in the single digits and had groups in the quarter inch range at 100 yards! My largest group was just under an inch and my biggest ES was 19 fps! This gun will be a 1300 yard chuck slayer like none other and it only burns 31.5 grains of Varget.

Anyway, here are some pics of the day:

Here's the boys and the firing line. I know that kitchen sink is in there somewhere!
hansencrew.jpg

this is the first kill of my 6br imp at 515. (head shot cause that's all he was showing me)
1stbrtkill.jpg

Here's the 6 br imp. Speedy Gonzales sleeved 700, Mcmillan benchrest stock, 27 1/2" krieger 8 twist barrel, Rifle Basix 8 oz. trig, performance guns brake, Leupold vx-III 8.5-25x50mm scope.
6brt.jpg

The newest 500 yard club members.
daveandroland500club.jpg

The pic of the 2000 yard area. The chucks we were shooting at were next to those two 40 foot tall trees circled in green. The one I hit at 1877 was near the red circle.
viewof2000yardchuckspot.jpg

Here is the actual location of the long chuck. The trees in the green circle are the same trees in green in the pic above. It took quite awhile to get over to this spot!
1877chuckonrock.jpg

And lastly, here is my official pic of the chuck and the distance sign. I had to take this one when I got home because it was dark by the time we made it back to the shooting bench from the kill site, so I brought the critter home for the chance to take the pic in the daylight with the moag in my hands.
1877pic.jpg

Anyways, next time we will hopefully get the 2k chuck if we can talk lady luck into helping us reach our goal.
Hope these pics were entertaining!
Later,-goodgrouper

Great pics!!! How does the 500, etc. club work? I'm sure you have to be member of the NVA? Any info would be appreciated.

Goodgrouper,

Contrats on the fine shooting. Many will read that you were disappointed with missing your 2000 yard mark and not understand it but I do. We often get so driven at what we are doing that we forget to sit back and realize exactly what we are doing in the first place.

Just like yesterday when I was testing my 270 Allen Mag Extreme Sporter at 930 yards. The three shot group I shot on paper measured 5.586" ctc with two of the three Wildcats landing under 1.5" apart.

I was a bit upset about the third shot which I let the trigger get away from me, dropping out of the group. But on the way home I realized that 0.6 moa at nearly 1000 yards with a sporter rifle is still a bit impressive.

As with you, a one shot kill at well past a mile is well extremely impressive. I think we often need to sit back and actually realize what we are doing and actually take a few moments to realize what you did was pretty **** impressive!!!

Congrats to you and all the other shooters. The summer is young and you already have a +1800 yard kill, its just a matter of time and bullets in the air before you are in the 2000 yard club.

My goals this summer are first the 1500 yard club adn then go from there with the Kahn. It has been cool and windy so the chucks have not been out much but soon they will be out enough to start shooting!!

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Goodgrouper, that is outstanding. I would have liked to been there just to see it. I have never been chuck shooting yet but am very anxious to get out and do it. That is the great thing about Idaho. Tons of stuff to shoot.

Double ditto on the Outstanding. Ez on the disappointment. My hero (my Dad) has the longest shot I've ever see (antelope at 650 yards), 30 years ago with a factory 30-06, factory 180 bullets, 25 MPH gusting winds from the side, no rangefinder, 4x scope and me acting as spotter. After one correction he got a neck shot on the 2nd try.

My personal best is short 500 yards, but that's with a cheap factory gun and reloads. When I get my guns back from Kirby I hope to get closer to 1,000 yards.

How does distance equate to difficulty? I would say it's a cubic function. Going from 1000 to 2000 isn't double, but 2*2*2 or 8 times more difficult - perhaps it's quartic or 16x the difficulty. <font color="red"> WE REALLY NEED AN ULTRA ULTRA-LONG-RANGE SHOOTING FORUM </font>

[ QUOTE ]
Double ditto on the Outstanding. Ez on the disappointment. My hero (my Dad) has the longest shot I've ever see (antelope at 650 yards), 30 years ago with a factory 30-06, factory 180 bullets, 25 MPH gusting winds from the side, no rangefinder, 4x scope and me acting as spotter. After one correction he got a neck shot on the 2nd try.

My personal best is short 500 yards, but that's with a cheap factory gun and reloads. When I get my guns back from Kirby I hope to get closer to 1,000 yards.

How does distance equate to difficulty? I would say it's a cubic function. Going from 1000 to 2000 isn't double, but 2*2*2 or 8 times more difficult - perhaps it's quartic or 16x the difficulty. <font color="red"> WE REALLY NEED AN ULTRA ULTRA-LONG-RANGE SHOOTING FORUM </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Email inbound...

"I never had so much fun missing!" I wish I could remember who, but someone made the statement after missing a chuck several times at 2000 plus. As well as comments about the $ of chucks hit. It was a joy to watch.
Dave.

I have to take a moment here to comment on Goodgroupers modesty. The chuck was ranged with their wild (vild) optical artillery range finder and then with my GPS. The wild put the chuck comfortably over 1900 yards but when measured with the GPS I got a reading of 1876.9 yards. I had an accuracy of +/-15 feet. Since we dont know weather it is the + or the - we assume it it the same for both waypoints marked. (My experience with the GPS is a trustworthy accuracy of less than 3 feet). By all rights he could have claimed the 1900+ range (1936 I believe) but instead he went with my lower number.

I can attest that he ain't about bragging. If anything, he is holding back.

I'd be glad to shoot with these guys anytime.

Great shooting GG as well as the others!! Congrats on your longest kill as well! Looks like the M.O.A.G really shoots well! Keep up the good work fellas!!

SSSWWWEEETTT!, nice shooting. I wish there was somewhere around here to do that. We do have alot of coyotes though hmmmmm...

Goodgrooper,
If you decide to drop one of these woodchucks I keep seeing out in the fields now driving to work in the morning, I'll pay for your outa state tags----oh wait----maybe you don't need the tags if you take the shot FROM you resident state. Awesome hits and misses.

Here is a pic of Brian B taking a 2000 yard shot with the MOAG.

MOAG1.JPG

I took this through a spotting scope. This is where Brian B hit the rock a chuck was standing on at 2300 yards. The chuck came flying off of the rock so hard that I thought he actually hit it.

2300yards.JPG

This is Goodgroupers truck while he was finding the dead chucks. The truck is at 900 yards, and the brown bare spot is where Goodgrouper hit his 1900 yard chuck. When he walked from the truck to the dirt, he dropped off a small hill and was out of sight for several minutes before reaching the spot where the chuck was at.
This was taken at 22x zoom (10x optical x 2.2 digital zoom)on my digital camera.

1900yards.JPG

I can't remember 4ked with a bigger s#!t eating grin as when he was behind the MOAG

4kedwithMOAG.JPG

All in all, it was an awesome day!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.