summer rock chuck hunt

canyonman1

I got back on July 4th from my annual chuck hunt here in Oregon. Tried a different location this time around and am glad I did.
Went around the Lakeview area, in south central region and had a great time.
Spent 6 days with the little Woman and our 3 chessie's in the high dessert cookin' our brains but got in some good shootin'.
We camped in a dry lake bed that had 2 spring fed water holes the cattle ranchers and fish and wildlife dug out for the critters. The dogs love water and so do all the antelope and coyotes. Got 2 coyotes and about 30 chucks in 2 days of shootin'. Just from camp.
The closest shot was 30 yds. and the longest was 575 yds. Could'nt get any longer shots due to the terrain. All the chucks were on rim rock you could only see from the opposite rim which is just feet above where we set up the wall tent and shade maker.(tarp). Not a tree in sight and the temp. was hovering around 90*f. Thats HOT with the reflection off the dry lake bed. We both look like Indians. Guess I should seeing as I'm about half injun myself.
Anyhow, the rifle I took was my 338 EDGE. 300 gr. sierra's sure make a mess out of a chuck!:D Some got launched 5-6 feet high! And you could see the RED MIST with your naked eye @ 575 yds.
We saw 8 antelope come to the water holes, all decent bucks. No does or fawns. Cause of the yotes I suspect.
Planning on another trip or 2 before summers end. Grandpa's 81 and just got his eyes fixed, and says he's ready for a killin'! Can't wait! Last trip he took a yote @ 278 yds. On a flat out run. Shot him with a 222 rem. mag. Hit him low in the heart. He said he led him about 6 feet!gun)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.