A few picts from MOAG shoot in Idaho

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by 4ked Horn, Jul 12, 2005.

1. 4ked Horn

4ked Horn Writers Guild

These pictures are way late but better late than never right?

Picture #1 is our friend Gonehuntingagain otherwise known as Big Al.
    I wish I could hold a 56 pound gun like it was a Daisy Red Rider.

[​IMG]

Picture #2 "Boat anchor" If memory serves me.

[​IMG]

Picture #3 Is GG behind his purple .250 6mm ackley improved magnum short mag machIV 40 deg wildcat shooter pipe bench thingy gun.
    (I forgot what it was but I'm sure I'm close.)

[​IMG]

Piucture #4 .22 Hornet, My sub MOA .223 load for my Mini14, The MOAGs .338 Lapua mag improved, A .50 BMG

[​IMG]

2. gonehuntingagain

gonehuntingagain Well-Known Member

I'll have to email that one to the rest of the family.

BTW, I think the MOAG is only 52 pounds /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

3. 4ked Horn

4ked Horn Writers Guild

Well that explains it. ANYONE can hold a 52 pound gun like that.

I'll email you the picture.

4. gonehuntingagain

gonehuntingagain Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Well that explains it. ANYONE can hold a 52 pound gun like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. goodgrouper

goodgrouper Well-Known Member

The combined weight of the 3 guns in your pics is 88.5 pounds!

The total weight of all the guns we took hunting that day in my truck was 171.5!!

I thinks me needs a 3/4 ton truck! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

6. 4ked Horn

4ked Horn Writers Guild

Hey GG. What were the calibers of the boat anchor and the purple gun? I have forgotten.

BTW the Moag weighs 5x what my Rem VLS weighs with all the normal add on gear. It weighs 10x that of my Ruger ultralite .243 but the bullet is only approx 2x and 3x as heavy as what I normally shoot in those guns.

7. goodgrouper

The boat anchor is a 6mm-284 and the purple gun is my little 6br improved 40 degree shoulder.

8. goodgrouper

Big Al is still the only guy that has successfully hefted the MOAG into standing position without ripping a whole in his pants! That pic is definetly one for the books.

9. 7Rumloader

7Rumloader Well-Known Member

GG the M.O.A.G kinda puts a damper on offhand running shots like in 4ked's signature line HuH??

10. goodgrouper

Yeah, if you had a deer running away from you at 100 yards you would just have to wave good bye to him! If you had a deer at 800 yards, it would be hard to bring the scope down that far to shoot. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

11. 4ked Horn

4ked Horn Writers Guild

I never did ask you what your minimum range was for shooting the crosshairs with the MOAG? Is it actually around 800 yards?

12. goodgrouper

Well, we don't really like to shoot the moag at anything under a mile but when I was doing load development, we were able to get it down to 300 yards by bottoming out the scope. The highest point in the traj for a 2k shot is somewhere around 150 feet high at around 800 yards if memory serves me right.

We have 40 minutes into the base and rings which gives us a 1500 yard zero. Then we have about 43 minutes left in the scope so that can get us out to about 2200 yards give or take a few based on the atmospherics.

13. 4ked Horn

4ked Horn Writers Guild

That is so wild. If you were aiming at a 2000 yard target looking through the windows of a 10 story building, and the building was at 800 yards, you could hit the target and miss the building.

Wicked.