1st attempt at annealing

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by noneck180, Apr 24, 2011.

1. noneck180

noneck180 Well-Known Member

Well I was going to buy an automated annealer but they are quite expensive. So I found the right size sockets, used a bolt and nut to chuck it. The first pic are the first 2 7mm mag brass I did, then I tried my hand a 223 since I had some new unfired Lapua cases to compare, case on the left is the Lapua.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Eaglet

Eaglet Well-Known Member

noneck180,

that looks mighty good!

Do you care to share with us your process? How you checked the temp... etc.

3. Gene

Gene Well-Known Member

Great idea with adapting the socket as a holder. I use regular shellholders and a Craftsman cordless drill. I would have some concerns about turning too fast with the drill you are using. I turn mine in dim light using MAP gas, until the neck just barely begins to show some orange, (about 6 seconds) then drop it dry in a pan. I used to quench them in water, but I stopped doing that when someone said the factories do not quench them.

Recently bought a bottle of Tempilaq 650. Wiped a streak on the necks, but it disappeared immediately. On another forum someone said wipe the Tempilaq just below the shoulder; I need to try that. I always size mine again after they are annealed.

4. ilscungilli

ilscungilli Well-Known Member

Try putting a little of the templiaq on the inside of the neck. You can watch it melt a few times, and then decide how long you want to anneal.

5. noneck180

noneck180 Well-Known Member

I am just rotating slowly, very light flame. doesn't take long .I don't have any tempilaq, just going off the colors explained in that thread from 6mm br. Aswell I burned one on purpose to see how soft it got, there is a difference.